Author Topic: Safavids, Shah Sultan Husayn I, 1128 AH, Oblong 5 Shahi, Tabriz Mint(1105-1135)  (Read 71 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Safavids, Shah Sultan Husayn I, 1128 AH, Oblong 5 Shahi, Tabriz Mint (1105-1135 AH/1694-1722 AD)
Weight 8.36 gm
Diameter 19x26 mm (Oblong).
Metal Silver
Obverse: “بنده شاه ولایت حسین ضرب تبریز ", bandeh shah-e velayat, Husayn, Zarb Tabriz, date is “ 1128 ۱۱۲۸  ” at 9 O’clock.
Reverse: Shiite formula (Kalima) “ لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله  ”, meaning, “no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, ‘Ali is the chosen one of God”.
I like this type of coin, its shape is fascinating, I have already posted a similar coin with same mint and date, but it is a different coin.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I agree, Maythem. Fascinating cultural objects. You can only do this with relatively small, thin coins, but the end result is a clear and centric strike. AFAIK, the technique, squeezing a metal wire and breaking off the coin with the same tool, is originally Russian, but the wire kopeks are so much older that the technique may have been re-invented.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Peter for your useful comments.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".