Author Topic: Swedish and Finnish token listings  (Read 859 times)

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
Re: Swedish and Finnish token listings
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 06:19:03 PM »
I have found a book on Norwegian tokens by M. Øverland "Norske poletter og akkordmerker". It seems pretty well referenced with NP numbers often quoted on auctions.

Cannot find much further info, how detailed is it, was the subject just scratched on the surface, what exactly does it cover and is the book worth it at all. Maybe someone could help.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 07:07:19 PM »
I recommend a PM to Scroggs with that question.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 02:47:07 PM »
I'm not Scroggs but I can confirm that I both have a copy and find it useful. I don't have enough Norwegian tokens to know how comprehensive it is, though IME no token publication can claim complete coverage of the issues relevant to the topic. But I can't immediately think of a Norwegian token that I possess that isn't in the book. (If you find yourself in this position, btw, the first question you should ask is "Is it Danish?")

One slight disadvantage, compared to say the three big Swedish token volumes or the Token Book series and Rains co-operative tokens in the UK, is that it is harder to find your way around the book, especially if your knowledge of Norwegian geography is a bit hazy. I sometimes find myself leafing through the whole thing (though that way one learns stuff one otherwise wouldn't!) or believe that a token is missing from the book only to find it listed somewhere unexpected.