Author Topic: Thames Wherry  (Read 119 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Thames Wherry
« on: March 12, 2020, 02:11:06 AM »
THAMES WHERRY FLYING STAIR 1 PENNY rev. GOD SAVE HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN 1 Zamack 24.8mm.

No success with searching other than possibly issued for the Thames Festival ...perhaps for the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in 2012

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Thames Wherry
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 08:35:33 AM »
Are you sure it's an F in flying? My brain interprets it as a P. Also, in 2012 the penny hardly had a function. Perhaps earlier in ER's reign?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:29:58 AM »
I would interpret the "1 penny" in the same way as for the Ironbridge Gorge museum tokens - they are denominated in old pence but have a fixed exchange rate to modern sterling when you buy them (1d = 40p if I remember right for the 1987 Ironbridge tokens).

I also interpret the text as "Plying" rather than "Flying". I wonder if "Plying Stairs" is an invented name for a temporary landing-place on the river bank, erected for the duration of a celebration (as Malcolm says, 2012's Diamond Jubilee plus Olympics is probably a good bet, though 2002 or even 1977 would be possible). "Ply" is not commonly encountered in modern English except in the fossilised phrase "ply one's trade" but it is commonly encountered in historical contexts associated with Thames watermen, which is the ambience the token is trying to evoke.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 11:22:23 AM »
Yes it is fact Plying, I checked it with my loupe.

This paragraph from Thames Watermen QV uses plying a couple of times. I must be old as I still use it!

Particular landing places on the river were designated as plying places for the watermen to pick up and put down passengers. These were next to stairs down to the river and often near bridges and inns. By the 18th century there were more than 100 such plying places in London where watermen could carry on their trade. Watermen's stairs can still be seen along the river.

Re the 2012 jubilee note too the exaggerated ER in wherry on the penny which I feel is probably just a souvenir.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.