Author Topic: Safavids, Shah Sultan Husayn I, 1129 AH, Oblong 5 Shahi, Tabriz mint  (Read 171 times)

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
I was interested in Maythem's post of a 1128 H oblong 5 shahi from Tabriz, as I have two similar pieces but 1129 H.

Safavids, Shah Sultan Husayn I, 1129 AH, Oblong 5 Shahi, Tabriz Mint (1105-1135 AH/1694-1722 AD)
Weight 8.69 gm
Size [not recorded] (Oblong).
Farabaksh 128-7, KM A276.4

Safavids, Shah Sultan Husayn I, 1129 AH, Oblong 5 Shahi, Tabriz Mint (1105-1135 AH/1694-1722 AD)
Weight 8.63 gm
Size 28x21 mm (Oblong).
Farabaksh 128-7, KM A276.4

They are similar to Maythem's pieces, but have an extra border on both sides, the Caliphs round the obverse, and the shah's titles round the reverse.

I bought the first one many years ago, but was a little disappointed with the weakness on the mintname and date. When I saw the second example more recently I bought it to replace the first example, but when I received it I decided to keep both.

Alan

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Re: Safavids, Shah Sultan Husayn I, 1129 AH, Oblong 5 Shahi, Tabriz mint
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 10:35:13 PM »
Thank you Alan, your coins are fascinating with clear margin showing on the Shiite Kalima side, the names of the 12 Shiite Imams " علي حسن حسين علي محمد جعفر موسى علي محمد علي حسن محمد " ‘Ali Hasan Hussein ‘Ali Muhammad Jafar Musa ‘Ali Muhammad ‘Ali Hasan Muhammad”. On the Obverse side of your coins, margin reads " السلطان بن السلطان و الخاقان بن الخاقان خلد الله ملکه و سلطانه
, al-Sultan bin al-Sultan wa al-Khaqan bin al-Khaqan Khallad Allah Mulkahu wa sultanahu, meaning, "The Sultan, son of the Sultan, the Khaqan, son of the Khaqan, may Allah prolong his reign and dominion". The word " al-Khaqan الخاقان ", means " The great King".
My coin show a margin of beads on both sides instead of the inscriptions.

Maythem
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:41:12 AM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 12:00:05 PM »
I can imagine you wanted both, since they show different parts of the die. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Not sure if that is a weak strike or wear in the centre. Imagine a weary traveller holding the coin in his hand, reciting the names of the caliphs or parts of the Qu'ran during his numbing voyage, rubbing his thumb on the centre.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 01:22:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is a weak strike, the flan looks a little thinner there.

Alan