Author Topic: USA 1850 Large Cent  (Read 168 times)

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
USA 1850 Large Cent
« on: August 20, 2019, 03:03:33 AM »
Here is my 1850 Large Cent.

A few years ago I went to a local regional coin show and found a lady who had a box of Large Cents in 2x2's and was asking one price, your pick. I don't recall the price but that it was under $20 US. I found this one and liked the color and the wear is acceptable. Think it is a slightly weak strike which shows up on the reverse inscription although sometime it is hard to tell when they have wear, at least for me it is.

Anyway I grade it GE (Good Enough).  :)

Would have bought half a dozen more but I didn't really have any money with me for hobbies at that time.
It happens.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: USA 1850 Large Cent
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 09:50:55 AM »
An aspect of US coins is that it nicely reflects the changing idea of the "ideal woman". On the earliest coins, you see a young, but somewhat rotund and busty woman, the type that would have no problem giving birth to 15 children and has enough money not to have worked off her fat reserves. On this coin, the utilitarian bust has disappeared and the woman has a long, straight nose, thought to be a classical Greek profile. Note the points of resemblance and difference with Mercury on his dime. On later coins, some women are pictured full length, slender, elegant, youthful and full of energy. The walking liberty half is a great example. She has become a plaything and a showpiece for male lust.

There is a similar movement on coins of other countries, but few countries have so many idealised women on their coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 01:55:18 PM »
That's a nice coin for an under $20 bin at a coin show. I go through these boxes at coin shows here and there, but don't often see any this nice. Congratulations, Dale.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 02:37:37 PM »
Thanks!

In my opinion it was one of the better ones out of maybe 50+ in the box.
But there were quite a few more that would have been good enough.

When I go through a box like that (for large cents) I will set aside a few to take a closer look at.
The first thing I looked at was price, then color, then year and the last was condition and wear.

For other coins (non-large copper) I look for the same four criteria only in a different order but price is still first.

All else being equal I will give 1855 a preference since a hundred years later 1955 is my birth year.
There were a couple 1855's but weren't as good. Even a knob-ear 1855.
I like the 55's but I'm not compulsive about it  :)

There were plenty of harshly cleaned coins and damaged coins as well.

Dale

That's a nice coin for an under $20 bin at a coin show. I go through these boxes at coin shows here and there, but don't often see any this nice. Congratulations, Dale.

Bruce

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 02:48:39 PM »
I am a fan of Art and an amateur artist of sorts. One type of art I like a lot is ink illustration and especially ink and watercolor or gouache.

So I have looked a lot of illustrations from all time periods. One of the most obvious things to note is the changing concept of what is beauty and especially in female appearance and anatomy.

It is sort of funny to look at an advertising illustration encouraging women to buy the product because it will put some meat on your bones and you know men don't like skinny women.  :D

Dale

An aspect of US coins is that it nicely reflects the changing idea of the "ideal woman". On the earliest coins, you see a young, but somewhat rotund and busty woman, the type that would have no problem giving birth to 15 children and has enough money not to have worked off her fat reserves. On this coin, the utilitarian bust has disappeared and the woman has a long, straight nose, thought to be a classical Greek profile. Note the points of resemblance and difference with Mercury on his dime. On later coins, some women are pictured full length, slender, elegant, youthful and full of energy. The walking liberty half is a great example. She has become a plaything and a showpiece for male lust.

There is a similar movement on coins of other countries, but few countries have so many idealised women on their coins.

Peter

Online brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 05:35:21 PM »
I was curious to see if there were any varieties for the 1850. I found my information in Walter Breens' encyclopedia so it's badly dated, but he notes only two major varieties...Closed 5 (#1904) and open 5 (#1905). Your date seems to have an open 5, but I don't think either one is scarce. The mintage for all was 4,426,844, about average for the later dated unpopular Large Cents.

There are a number of minor varieties for each type, but apparently they're insignificant as he doesn't even say what the differences are.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline gpimper

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 12:19:04 AM »
Dale, that is a very nice coin.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:35:18 PM »
That's the sort of thing I'd not be able to resist if I found it,  it has a nice even tone and hasn't been messed around with.  No nasty edge bruises either.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 01:43:12 AM »
It has plenty flaws if you enlarge the image
But in hand look good
Dale

That's the sort of thing I'd not be able to resist if I found it,  it has a nice even tone and hasn't been messed around with.  No nasty edge bruises either.

Offline gpimper

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 04:53:57 AM »
Dale, I think you are correct about the reverse.  Back in the day strikes were not necessarily consistent.  Comparing the Face to the Reverse I see a considerable difference in the wear.  Well, unless somebody rubbed that pore penny on the back side for a long time...:-/  Just my observation :-)  Still a great coin.
The Chief...aka Greg