Author Topic: Ghaznavids: Masud-I, AR Zahiri Dirham  (Read 233 times)

Offline shiblius

Ghaznavids: Masud-I, AR Zahiri Dirham
« on: August 18, 2019, 05:26:33 AM »
Ghaznavids: Masud-I, AR Zahiri Dirham, NM, ND, 3.18g, 19.4 mm. Citing the Abbassid Caliph Al-Qaim b'Amr Allah and Masud with his title Nasir Deen Allah (Helper/Supporter of the Religion of Allah).

Obverse:
Adl (trans: Justice) at the top, followed by the Shahadah, and the Arabic alphabet “S “ at the bottom of the center field. The margin does not seem to contain any text, and the border has four annulets on either side.

Reverse:
Word “Zahiriya” at the top, signifying that this is a Zahiri dirham. The word Zahiriya is by construction a noun created from the adjective Zahir that carries the notion of someone who provides support or backing. The central legend has the second part of the Shahadah and the title of Masud: Nasir Deen Allah (Helper/supporter of the religion of Allah i.e., Islam). The last line has the name of Masud. The name of the Abbassid caliph is distributed on the left and right side of the central legend. Zahiri dirhams with this particular arrangement of the Caliph’s name are categorized as rare.

Some more examples here Zahiri Dirhams of Masud-I ? ?????? ????.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 11:00:13 AM by THCoins »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Ghaznavids: Masud-I, AR Zahiri Dirham
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 01:02:40 PM »
Nice website you linked to, is this yours ? Great work !

I can just add the common type for comparison here:

Offline shiblius

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 11:52:48 PM »
@THCoins : That's a very nice Zahiri dirham.
Thanks for the kind word, yes, I maintain the blog but there are other contributors as well: fellow enthusiasts of medieval Indian and Islamic history and coins.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 06:59:19 PM »
Looking again at my picture, i see i cheated. This were the obverse and reverse from two specimen of the identical type. Unfortunately, the combination of a very nice obverse and reverse on a single coin has proven very scarce.