Author Topic: Delhi Sultanate - Lodi quarter tanka  (Read 160 times)

Offline Swaan

Delhi Sultanate - Lodi quarter tanka
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:05:58 PM »
Hello,
I'm looking for a catalog reference of this coin ; I wasn't abble to find a match for it.

Observe : "... [Si]kandar / ... Sultan ....
Reverse : "Dar al-Mulk Delhi"

If my reading is correct, it has been in Delhi and the titulature most likely stands for Sikandar Lodi or one of his son (Ibrahim or Mahmud) with "... ibn Sikandar..." in this case.

2.27g / 10,5mm
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:26:56 PM by Swaan »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Delhi Sultanate - Lodi quarter tanka
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 11:37:01 AM »
Problem with these is that variable portions of the legend are on flan, which makes them difficult to compare with the references.
However, i think this is G&GD709. I had problems with identifying one previously, see this older thread.

Anthony

Offline Swaan

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 03:33:01 PM »
Problem with these is that variable portions of the legend are on flan, which makes them difficult to compare with the references.
However, i think this is G&GD709. I had problems with identifying one previously, see this older thread.

Anthony

Indeed, same coin !
However, I have some doubts with the reference for both of them ;  the reverse and observe sides seem to show different lettering : Sultans of Dehli, Sikandar Shah Lodi, AE 1/4 Tanka, GG-D709.

On the observe we have Sikandar followed by Sultan just under it but for the reference GG-D 709, there is another line with the name of his father between them.
On the reverse side, I don't read the usual formula either :-\

After looking at your coin, the Sikandar attribution seems correct, but it may have been minted on a smaller die (I don't think there are additional writtings on the reverse side) with a shorter version of its titulature (whitout the name of his father ?)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:45:42 PM by Swaan »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 06:04:19 PM »
Agree with the problem you observe with G&G D709. On my coin i decided the "Bahlul" side would fit with D709. However, for the other side the arrangement of the text would fit better with D713 attributed to the rule of Ibrahim Shah ?

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 08:17:38 PM »
I am a great fan of these overlays, Swaan. Happy to see you can make them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Swaan

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
Thanks Peter ! Pictures sometimes worth thousand words ; the overlays usually help me to explain some parts of the coin.

After having a second look at your coin, I think Ibrahim could fit on the first line with "ibn" above the first part of "Sikandar" in this case.
However I don't think we should read "Bahlul" on the reverse side, but "Dehli". We can easily misread them when the writtings are badly realised but I'm quite confident with this one.

We can read Bahlul (in read) and Dehli (in blue) on the following coin from Zeno : Zeno - Oriental Coins Database - Sultans of Dehli, D0697, Bahlol Lodhi, AE

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 04:33:46 PM by Swaan »