Author Topic: Afsharids, Shah Rukh, 1176 AH, AR Abbasi (4 Shahi), Tabriz mint (1161-1210 AH)  (Read 65 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Afsharids, Shah Rukh, 1176 AH, AR Abbasi (4 Shahi), Tabriz mint (1161-1210 AH)(1748-1796 AD)
Weight: 4.62 gm
Diameter 21 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse: In Farsi reads: سکه زد در جهان بحکم خدا/ شاهرخ کلب استان رضا , Sekkeh zad dar jahan beh hokm Khoda / Shah Rukh, kalb-e astan-e Reza, meaning, "On the order of God / Shah Rukh, the dog of the doorstep of Imam Reza minted this coin". Mint is at bottom “ Tabriz تبريز “, the date is not clear, but looks like " 1176 ۱۱۷۶ ".
Reverse: Shiite formula (Kalima) “ لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله ”, La illah l’Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah, ‘Ali Wali Allah.
Shah Rukh is Nadir’s grandson.

Maythem
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:14:20 PM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I enjoy looking at the coins you present. I have noticed that a weak spot in half moon shape is quite common. In general, this is caused by a flan of uneven thickness: the die hits only the thicker part of the flan, but misses the thin part. The next question is of course why the flans are so often of uneven thickness.

The flan of this coin looks slightly drop-shaped, or rather round on one side and oval on the other side, with the oval part more or less opposite the weak part. If this happens consistently, I may be on to something.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Peter for your comments.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".