Author Topic: Tomars of Delhi: Madanpal Deva, Billon Jital, Tye 45; Deyell 201....full name!  (Read 167 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Medieval Rajput Kingdoms, Tomars of Dillika (Delhi), Raja Madana Pala Deva, 1145-67 AD, Billon Jital, 3.20g, Tye #45; Deyell #201

Obv: Recumbent bull facing left, numeral 1 on jhula (saddle-cloth); circular legend around in Devanagari माधव श्री सामंत देव (Madhava Sri Samanta Deva)

Rev: Rider bearing lance on caparisoned horse facing right; single dot on harness on horses rump; circular legend around either side of horseman in Devanagari श्री मदन पाल देव (Sri Madana Pala Deva)

Uncleaned coin with natural patina, with full ruler's name visible on Rev highlighted in red fonts (Ma / Da Na Pa La De Va)
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Nice post Mitresh, thanks !
I might have transcribed "Samanta" a bit different as समन्त instead of सामंत ?
Your pictures also confront me again with some interpretation problems i am having with the current classification of the Dehli rajas which is based on the work of Dyell and Tye. They constructed a continuous dynasty of consequtive rulers who minted coins at the mint in Dehli. Madana Pala is placed in time after Ananga Pala. However, comparing your coin with the Ananga Pala specimen, the style is a bit odd and the silver content seems much lower. In contrast, there are also more "Dehli style" coins in better silver, like the first example below. As such that should not be a problem. But the same division in two styles also exists for Sallakshana Pala, who is placed before Ananga Pala, shown in the second coin below. Also there seems to be a gradual transition from the crude Madana Pala type to the even cruder Tye#53 type.
I have not been able to put all the pieces of the puzzle together yet. The most probable solution seems to be that there was a secondary mint, likely in a different city that produced these cruder types over a period, parallel to the mainstream Dehli types.