Author Topic: Singapore telephone WW2  (Read 228 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Singapore telephone WW2
« on: August 10, 2019, 05:11:15 AM »
Has anyone a Singapore telephone from WW2 issued by the Japanese DENWA KYOKU enamelled in two lines on chrome steel uniface blanks 18.5mm, two varieties in positioning of words.

Scan from Pridmore attached.

Denwa means phone in Japanese.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Singapore telephone WW2
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »
I have discovered an illustration in a 1999 auction catalogue of Noble (Melbourne), lot 1464 of sale 61, page 59. On the net, there is a thumbnail only, but I have sent them a mail asking for the original picture and permission to use it in WoT. No reply yet.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 11:32:40 AM »
That is the mobile version of the catalogue, I have a the original.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »
An interesting receipt issued by the Oriental Telephone and Electric Company in 1947 here
Malcolm

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 12:20:37 PM »
This period is covered in WoT with:

Singapore was occupied by Japanese forces in 1942. The token marked DENWA KYOKU dates from this period. The occupation was ended after a formal surrender in 1945 with a spree of destruction, murder, looting and arson. Besides its many human victims, the Japanese destroyed a significant amount of infrastructure, including the telephone network. It took 5 years just to return to pre-war service.

The murderous post-surrender rampage of Japanese troops in Singapore is one of the more scandalous and often overlooked episodes in the second world war. The British army locked up my father-in-law in Changi (Singapore) after liberating him from a prison camp in the Netherlands East Indies. The prison was very lightly guarded in this period, so inmates could spend the day (without money) in Singapore. My father-in-law gave me a first-hand account of the friendliness of the relieved Singaporeans. He was smitten with the city for the rest of his life. I went there (including Changi) a number of times, but much later, and I agree.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 12:32:18 PM »
Yes I like Singapore very much and have been there three times. I knew two men that had been prisoners of the Japanese and had spent several years in Changi surviving to return home to Australia but in very poor shape.
Malcolm