News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

arab sassasian coin - please help in identification

Started by coin_lover, August 08, 2019, 11:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coin_lover

unusual for me to be on this board however need help with this particular coin.
Date if possible and where I can actually read it and the ruler of the arab state who issued it.

Figleaf

I think Manzikert may be on holidays. You may want to send him a PM in due time.

Magnificent detail on that coin! The wings on the crown are typical for Peroz and Khusro II, I believe.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

Hi Coin-Lover, that's been a long time !
I think your coin is an anonymous "Khushro II" type from the beginning of the Arab-Sasanian coinage. In the margin below the bust "Bismillah".
The text flanking the attendants has the mintname and year of issue. There is a small introduction on how to read these for the earlier coins here.

coin_lover

Hey TH, how are you.have got some collection of coins now, will start posting them in September.
Thanks for the info. Looks like an early issue.

THCoins

Looking forward to see your new aquisitions !

Anthony

coin_lover

coin_lover

Manzikert

As Peter assumed, I was on holiday when this was posted, but I had a look at it when I got back, couldn't make much of it, thought I'd have another look later, and then promptly forgot about it  :-[

I've had another look at it, and I'm pretty sure it is a coin in the name of Yedzigird III, and of a common posthumous type, the mintmark being SK for Sakastan/Sijistan, and the date is 20 PYE (AH 31, 652 AD).

My apologies for the delay

Alan

coin_lover

Dear Alan ,

Thanks a lot, that is most detailed and clear. Much appreciated.

Take care.

Regards