Author Topic: Any thoughts on this counterstamp?  (Read 272 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Any thoughts on this counterstamp?
« on: August 08, 2019, 03:14:21 PM »
I've had this coin for sometime, but was never able to identify the shield. I always thought it to be American because of the host coin and the look of the shield, but now I'm not so sure.

My first thought is military, but the more I study it the less I think it's so. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce
Always Faithful

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Any thoughts on this counterstamp?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 03:32:11 PM »
Does the eagle have one or two heads? Does it have a breast shield? Does it hold anything in its claws or on its head?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 05:00:34 PM »
One head, and no breast shield, headgear or objects in it's talons as far as I can tell. The stamp isn't clear because of strike and interference from the coin's devices.

It's lack of any "ornaments" is puzzling, because this type of image usually has an identifier of some nature. This is probably why I don't think it's military.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline JBK

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 08:42:59 PM »
Based on nothing but my imagination, those upswept wings seem reminiscent of something from the Middle East - it does not look American or European to me.  But it could be that it is just very stylized.

I can't tell what is going on at the bottom - is the eagle holding arrows or an olive branch?

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 10:09:51 PM »
Good thinking. The wing tips pointing up exclude a number of countries. What is left of serious countries, excluding far-fetched possibilities like Cyprus or Thailand) is Indonesia, Poland, Sudan and the US. Of these, Indonesia and the US use a breast shield. The Sudan eagle looks too different to me. That leaves Poland as the prime candidate.

Of course, the arms could be provincial, local or belong to a country that never was or has since disappeared.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
Based on nothing but my imagination, those upswept wings seem reminiscent of something from the Middle East - it does not look American or European to me.  But it could be that it is just very stylized.

I can't tell what is going on at the bottom - is the eagle holding arrows or an olive branch?
Nothing in the talons that I can see, but the stamp is a little hard to decipher even in-hand.
Good thinking. The wing tips pointing up exclude a number of countries. What is left of serious countries, excluding far-fetched possibilities like Cyprus or Thailand) is Indonesia, Poland, Sudan and the US. Of these, Indonesia and the US use a breast shield. The Sudan eagle looks too different to me. That leaves Poland as the prime candidate.

Of course, the arms could be provincial, local or belong to a country that never was or has since disappeared.

Peter
I was told by someone in the past that it might be Polish, so you could be right, Peter.

Bruce
Always Faithful