Author Topic: Medieval Lanka ? = Pandyas, Maravarman Sundara Pandya I ?  (Read 141 times)

Offline Swaan

Medieval Lanka ? = Pandyas, Maravarman Sundara Pandya I ?
« on: August 08, 2019, 02:06:40 AM »
Hello,
I got a bunch of unsorted tiny coins from South India / Lanka areas and I must admit I have hard time to identify some of them.

I will start with the following one : the style of the observe directed my research to the Polonnaruva and Dambadeniya periods of Lanka however the reverse side doesn't really allow a better identification.
I try to print its surface on a paper via a pencil to highlight the survival elements (inscriptions ?) but it didn't really help me (orientation of the reverse side may be wrong).

The metric values don't seem to match with this serie as well : 1.01g for 11mm.
Even with that wear I'm not sure it could have weighted more than 2g ; too light and too small for a massa but way too heavy for the 1/8 massa.
I guess I have missed something (I don't recall having heard about half or quarter massa).

Any helps would be welcomed, thanks !
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:37:16 PM by Swaan »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Medieval Lanka ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 10:23:06 AM »
That's a tough one to start with, Swaan. The combination of South India and Swaan suggests Sri Lanka to me. I suggest you write a PM to our member Lakdiva when you suspect a coin is from Lanka or Ceylon. Just click the link in the previous sentence and click "Send PM" in the left margin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 01:00:26 PM »
Compare with the smallest one shown in this previous thread ?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:41:25 PM by THCoins »

Offline Swaan

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 10:41:27 PM »
Thanks for your answers, that helped !

Compare with the smallest one shown in this previous thread ?

Indeed, the weight better match with this coin, however the style of the standing king looks somehow different : he seems to hold a dagger (or a crescent) in his upper hand on the Venad Chera coins and have a Lozenge symbol in right field.
On this coin I only see a pellet in his hand and a serie of three or four pellets surmounted by something.

After following the links in the topics you gave me, I think I may have a better match with Maravarman Sundara Pandya I : Pandyas, Maravarman Sundara Pandya I (126-1244).

Weight and observe seems ok and if I rotate the reverse side 90 degrees counterclockwise I may reconstruct the reverse side as follow.
What do you think ? Did they only minted coins at Madurai ?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:58:33 PM by Swaan »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 08:32:15 AM »
The worn surface makes it difficult to judge for sure, but i think you nailed it !