Author Topic: Assist request - any chance of further ID'ing 1/2 Real - Spanish Colonial Cob  (Read 204 times)

Offline CameronK

This came to me as a 1/2 Real, Spanish colonial cob. I'm seeing if anyone can add further insight. I can see the partial 'Ultra' and what looks like a "08", "28" or "88" on the one side, and a cross on the other. Any chance of nailing down a mint mark? It's 10 x 11 MM, and weighs 6 grams.

Thanks in advance for the assists!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I read 1 at 12 o'clock. If it says 8 or 08 this is an imitation. The 1 is the denomination , 1 real. I think it says 28 at 6 o'clock. That makes it 1728, because there is no 1 real 1628 of this type. The SVL in-between is part of the motto PLVS VLTRA. As you can see, the coin is heavily clipped. All information on the mint is gone. Fortunately, only one mint struck this denomination/type in 1728: Potosí. Unfortunately, it did so with two different assayer marks, Y and M. To the left of the cross was once a P and to the right would have been the assayer's mark. Both were clipped off.

Edit: oopsie, there was also a 1 real 1728 Lima, assayer mark N.

Your seller probably meant that this 1 real was so heavily clipped that it must have circulated for a half real. At 6 grams, that is highly unlikely, since a 1 real would officially weigh 3.38 grams. Maybe you should weigh the coin again.

It would be nonsensical to say the coin is Bolivian or Peruvian. Bolivia and Peru hadn't been invented yet. It is Spanish colonial. It is also nonsense to call it a pirate's coin. Note that by 1728, piracy was no longer a problem. That said, there is a fair chance that - if the weight works out - your coin circulated in the Caribbean. There was a great dearth of coins there, only silver was accepted as money and coins are known to have been heavily clipped.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline CameronK

Fig;

Thanks so much for the level of detail and opinion. I re-weighed it, and it comes in between 0.6 and 0.7 grams so I mis-read that. I sure appreciate the information.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
At that weight, it is more likely to have circulated for ¼ real.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.