News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Eriksberg ferry tokens

Started by FosseWay, January 16, 2013, 08:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

Just to complete the story, I now know the purpose of these tokens. They are the predecessor to the green plastic token illustrated in the thread on Göteborgs Färjetrafik (reply #7).

Like that green token, these were issued to employees of Lindholmens Varv, either free of charge or for a sum less than the normal ferry fare, so that they could take the ferry to work more cheaply. There were probably restrictions on when, where and by whom the tokens could be used. The company would then buy back the tokens at the full journey price or another agreed sum from Göteborgs Hamnstyrelse, the harbour authority that ran the ferries.

I also have the token below from the neighbouring shipyard of Eriksberg, which was used for the same purpose.

FosseWay

Here's another Eriksberg discount ferry token. EMW stands for Eriksbergs Mekaniska Werkstad. This one seems to be unlisted; the one I've seen listed in local token literature has EMV (for Verkstad, the modern spelling).

Kushi

Thanks FosseWay for reporting the Eriksberg tokens. Someone who didn't live in Sweden would never know these were ferry tokens.

How about a report on the new Gothenburg token club?

FosseWay

Quote from: Kushi on February 14, 2013, 06:32:17 PM

How about a report on the new Gothenburg token club?

Nja, not so much to report yet. I went to the first meeting a few weeks ago and we've vaguely started to scope out how we can research and then publish information on Gbg tokens. The idea is to bring together all Gbg and area tokens in one place, much as has been done for Stockholm. Most urgent are actually the non-transport-related tokens, as a reasonable amount is already known about the ferry and tram pieces. Unfortunately I'll miss the next meeting as it's next week and I will be away, but I will be at the March one.