Author Topic: Göteborg, Swedish American Line tokens  (Read 1012 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Göteborg, Swedish American Line tokens
« on: August 01, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »
This last - ship money item is of interest and could be added to the listing of Ships tokens on WoT I was unaware of these.

Here is a picture of mine. You are welcome to use it on WoT if you can't find a better image  ;D

Brass, 21.7 mm, 2.45 g

More info on Svenska Amerika Linien here: Swedish American Line - Wikipedia (unusually for a Swedish subject, the English WP article is much more informative than the Swedish).

I have filed this token under "Tokens used for payment" rather than "Transport tokens", and then under Göteborg since the shipping line had its HQ here ("here" being just over the river from my office window!)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:27:43 AM by malj1 »

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
Re: Göteborg ferry tokens
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 05:02:03 PM »
Is this piece a ferry token, for fare payment? Why this thread title for a SAL token?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:54:57 PM by Kushi »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Göteborg transport tokens
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 06:46:44 PM »
See this section of WoT.

This highlights a problem of growing importance with WoT. It is set up and meant as a collaborative undertaking. Instead, sections are treated as the "property" or even "responsibility" of the person who set it up. Very well-meaning members provide pictures, comments or information, but it has proven nigh impossible to move them to insert it themselves. Yet, that is the intention. Since malj1 and I have set up many sections, we are increasingly expected to act as intermediaries. It works less and less well, not because we want it that way, but because our time and energy are finite. It works even less for sections maintained by people who seldom if ever come to WoC, like Scroggs. They don't even see these well-meant donations.

And yet, putting stuff in is not difficult. For text, there is a short manual here. Tables are a question of copy-and-paste With a limited amount of trial and error you can add to change or create a table. Inserting pictures is the most complicated job and still very easy once you get the hang of it. Upload a file with the button "Upload file" and create a link to the uploaded file where you want it. The link is again pretty easy, but you'll often want to add two variables: left, right or centre of page and size. Again, trial and error will get you there. We would be delighted to help you find your way. Just ask.

When I am no longer blue in the face from lack of time for breathing, I will add a simple manual for tables and pictures.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 07:00:46 PM »
I am slightly mystified by this thread as well. For a start, I didn't start it and I didn't give it its title.

As far as I know, this token is "ship's money" like the much larger series of Dutch boordgeld tokens. As I said in the "first" post, I don't think it belongs in the category Transport Tokens at all.

I take the point that the idea behind WoT is that everyone can and should contribute. I am also aware that I have not done as much there as I might have wanted, but the rest of life does tend to get in the way. But in this case, neither of those things is especially relevant. I posted the picture because from the context of the thread from which this was taken, it sounded like Mal was actively working on something there. I actually think it is counterproductive to blunder into an article that is a work in progress by someone else and put stuff there, however well-meaning. In such cases, it can be better for whoever is writing the article to collate information from others and write it up as a coherent whole. If new information then comes along when the original author has moved on to something else, then absolutely the finder of the new info should be encouraged to add it.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 12:14:23 AM »
I had forgotten that you had allowed me to use your image for a new section of Swedish ships. BTW are there others?  ???

I shall put it here soon but today life gets in the way, but later on I might have time.

Edit; its now in place here

BTW no amount of searching can locate your original article. (We do have the other ships tokens on this child board -  'Ferry, toll road and bridge tokens.')
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 06:10:43 AM by malj1 »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 07:49:25 AM »
I had forgotten that you had allowed me to use your image for a new section of Swedish ships. BTW are there others?  ???

I've never come across any others, although it seems strange that they would issue only one value denominated in standard currency and no others.

BTW no amount of searching can locate your original article. (We do have the other ships tokens on this child board -  'Ferry, toll road and bridge tokens.')

I don't think I've ever written about this token before, mainly because (as demonstrated here!) I know very little about it other than what is in the general Wikipedia article about the shipping line. I deliberately left it out of my contributions to the Gothenburg transport tokens pages because I felt it wasn't a transport token.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 08:08:29 AM »
I see its countermarked with a value of 50 so it may exist with other values marked, and of course logically it could exist without a countermark.

I don't think I've ever written about this token before,

As you had started the thread with a quote from me I thought this must have been split from elsewhere.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 08:19:22 AM »
Found it now!  Reply #5 here

(from the Farebox January 1999)
SWEDEN

SHIP MONEY 909
Svenska Amerika Linien 50 ( 50 is incuse )
I  23mm brass scalloped 10 lobes Sporrong Stockholm $2 .50
Malcolm

Offline scroggs

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 01:38:20 PM »
There is a series of these tokens, i Came across them in an auction lot a little while ago looking for something else. Theres definetly a Square 500 and IF my memory serves me 100, 50, 10 & 5 i think , im at my summer house till monday so dont have my computer or books with me.

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 01:54:37 PM »
The 1967 Kenneth E. Smith catalog also includes a 25 value, round scalloped, brass, 25 millimetres, solid.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 02:30:59 PM »
From the 1967 Kenneth E. Smith catalogue.

A different issue to the 50 token apparently.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »
A badge found on eBay today with an outlandish price US $395.00 (Approximately £327.01) postage another $44.95

I just went back in to get a picture and found another at US $14.00 but postage was $22 so I've sent it to a WoC member in the US instead.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 07:16:30 AM »
Found the 25 token listed in this auction lot.294 : here

Swedish American Line, Goteborg (O-lan). SWEDEN AMERICA LINIA Flag with three crowns / 25 S.r.s. RSC, MAS. SM.909C.
Some shipping companies have used table tokens during their cruises. As a means of payment, they paid for on-boarding (food and drink).
The Swedish America Line, SAL, was a Swedish shipping company with traffic between Goteborg and North America. The company existed in the years 1915-75.

The flag looks like this badge.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 07:37:05 AM »
Image from the catalogue obverse only. The value must be on the reverse?
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 08:29:20 AM »
If the pictures are so difficult to find, the tokens must be even more elusive.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.