Author Topic: Belgrade bus station  (Read 590 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Belgrade bus station
« on: July 28, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »
I read the text on the reverse as ЖЕТОН СПУСТИТИ У ПРОРЕЗ НА АУТОМАТУ И ПРОЂИ КРОЗ КАПИЈУ СА КАБАСТИМ ПРТЊАТОМ КОРИСТИТЕ ПРОЛАЗ БЕЗ АУТОМАТА, which Google translate says is the equivalent of WHETHER LEAVE IN AUTOMATIC TROLLEY AND PIPE THROUGH A CABINET WITH CABINET PRESSURE USE WITHOUT AUTOMATES. :D That might be slightly incorrect, but a Belgrade bus token it is.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:42:41 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Belgrade bust
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »
I see an OAP with a stick. Might it be a concession token?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »
With my limited knowledge of Russian, I figured out that the token is not for a bus company, but for the Belgrade bus station Београдска аутобуска станица (БAC), for long distance bus connections. The person seems to be on a pedestal, so a statue and the knife in his back may be a scratch. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline stef

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 01:45:56 PM »
There are two sentences in the text. The first is about how to use the token to open the door. The second says to use the path without machine if you have big luggage.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 02:04:04 PM »
Thanks, Stef. That does sound more plausible than Google's version :D. Would that be a door (or perhaps a turnstile or revolving door) in the departure hall or the bus door? The first looks far more likely, so the token would be a way to separate family and well-wishers from passengers.

Peter

Offline stef

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 02:52:42 PM »
Yes, I suppose it is about a gate to the area with the buses.

And the logo of the bus station company uses a monument from the Belgrade fortress.

Offline stef

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 07:24:58 PM »
By the way, two of the words should be changed:
ПРОЂИ is probably ПРОЋИ
ПРТЊАТОМ should be ПРТЉАГОМ

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »
Thanks, Stef. You are right. I made those corrections. Google translate now says: THE CHIEF TO REMOVE AUTOMATIC TAXES AND THE PROFESSION THROUGH A BOX WITH CABLES AND USE A CAR WITHOUT AUTOMATES. Using your information above, in English, that may be something like: Token to pass through automatic gates. If you have much luggage take a gate without an automatic machine. Stef 2, Google 0 :)

I think you are also right to say the statue is Pobednik, though at first I missed the outstretched hand with the dove. However, from a slightly different angle, the likeness is good enough for me - what looks like a stick is the business side of a sword.

Peter

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Belgrade bus station
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 12:44:06 AM »
Nice token, Peter, but the "car without automates" sounds downright dangerous. I'll walk. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 03:08:24 PM »
Elon Musk liked the idea and placed the robots under the hood. I'll walk along with you ;)

Peter

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 10:13:41 PM »
Platform token. The token entitled you to enter the boarding quays of the bus station. Not good for transportation, but you could help with luggage, kiss your girlfriend goodbye or just give a close-by wave. There were quite a few of this type token used in Serbia. See Ranko Mandić,
"Tokens of the Countries of Former Yugoslavia", 2012.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 01:56:48 PM by Kushi »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 11:44:24 PM »
Thank you, Kushi. The token wishes you a good trip and advises you what to do when you have a lot of luggage, which fits better with the one way trip through the turnstile of a traveller than with a return trip of a well-wisher, but I guess Mr. Mandić has read that too.

What I find odd is how elaborate this token is. Maybe it was used in the earlier communist era, when pricing was erratic?

Peter

Offline stef

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 10:19:53 PM »
Current BAS ticket and platform token from this site. The price of the token (or "station service") is 170 dinars.

And here you can see the gate.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:58:59 PM by Stef »