Author Topic: Daneprison  (Read 271 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Daneprison
« on: July 28, 2019, 11:15:44 AM »
Danish. Right. I get the "state prison and" part, but not the rest. Google translate is being ridiculous. Would this be prisoner's money?

Both sides are the same. Brass, 26mm.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:40:52 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Re: Daneprison
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 11:41:38 AM »
Vridsløselille is the place where the prison is located  ;)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »
Looks good, but how does it explain the I (and)?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 12:04:09 PM »
From the right hand side of Google page

Vridsløselille Prison is a former state prison located in Albertslund in the western suburbs of Copenhagen in Denmark.
It was operated as a state prison from its opening in 1859 to January 2016 and then served as a special departure center for rejected asulum seekers with prison sentences until February 2018. Wikipedia
Address: Fængselsvej 39, 2620 Albertslund, Denmark

BTW Goggle translate says its 'state prison in twistless lilac'   ...I'm guessing I = in
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 12:16:01 PM »
Indeed, "in" makes more sense. Google gave me an even more twisted translation of the legend. Don't remember it exactly, but yours is pretty good also. However, since the prison is now a tourist attraction, this may be a tourist token. Thank you for the help, gentlemen.

Peter

Online FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 04:27:15 PM »
I = in in all the Scandi languages.

I haven't seen this one before. There is a series of plastic øre-denominated tokens issued by Fængelsevæsendet, the national prison service, which I presumed were used in all prisons.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 11:21:36 PM »
I would imagine this brass token would have been issued earlier and then perhaps replaced by the generic series of plastic issue for all the prisons as you mention.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Online FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 09:18:34 AM »
I misremembered the national prison tokens - they are not plastic but brass and copper. I also need to correct my Swedified spelling of the authority's name - it is "Fængselsvæsenet".

I have the 1, 2, 10 and 25 øre - see below.

1 øre 15.6 mm, 2.24 g brass
2 øre 19.1 mm, 3.52 g brass
10 øre 17.1 mm, 2.90 g bronze
25 øre 21.8 mm, 4.90 g bronze

There were also 5 øre, 1 krone and 2 kroner tokens but, as with the national currency at the time, no 50 øre.

Online FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 09:37:28 AM »
This article by Jørgen Sømod (in Danish) gives a good overview of prison tokens in Denmark, including pre-1814 Norway and pre-1864 Slesvig and Holsten. I hope Google Translate can make some sense of it as it's rather long to translate word for word here.

Sømod also covers the Vridsløselille token that started this thread. The following information is paraphrased from Sømod:

The Fængselsvæsenet tokens I showed above were used between 1949 and 1973 (earliest and latest - individual prisons' usage varies). The Vridsløselille token that started this thread is actually later than these. Vridsløselille used the national Fængselsvæsenet tokens until 1960, but introduced the special token in 1969 when a coffee machine was introduced for the use of both inmates and visitors. At this time, inmates were not allowed to use coin of the realm. This evidently changed in 1973, when the coffee machines were replaced with ones that took normal money.

Sømod also illustrates a very home-made-looking 2 kroner token from the same prison, apparently made by a (not very literate) inmate in the prison workshop. This initiative was stopped by the authorities soon after!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 11:48:22 AM »
 :thankyou:

That answers even a question I hadn't asked: whose is the MEKA signature? Quoting Mr. Sømod through Google translate:

The token was minted at the factory MEKA v / Kai Meyer, Frederikssundsvej 274, Brønshøj with pantographed stamps made by medalist Bent Jensen. First he cut a large-sized model in plexiglass. By means of a diminishing device, a pantograph, the model was transferred to the pieces of steel that became the dies. The manufacturing name MEKA was inserted with a special stamp, called a punch on the die itself.

Actually, punching the signature in on one side is an inefficient solution. It makes sense if the name MEKA was expected to change in the near future, but in that case, it would have been efficient to punch it in on both sides, so all dies could have been used both as upper and lower dies and there would not have been an opportunity for muling.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:23:49 PM by Figleaf »

Online FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 12:53:19 PM »
Meka are/were the producers of many of the very commonly encountered 25 øre tokens used in gaming machines and at amusement parks. Notwithstanding what you say, Peter, it is undeniably the case that with many of these tokens, MEKA only appears on one side. In some cases, variants consist in whether MEKA appears on one, both or neither side. Sometimes people don't behave in the most obviously logical way!