Author Topic: Satavahana, Yajna Sri Satakarni, copper unit  (Read 373 times)

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
Satavahana, Yajna Sri Satakarni, copper unit
« on: July 30, 2019, 08:28:00 AM »
Hi,
Yajna Sri Satakarni was the last major king of the Satavahana dynasty. He regained some of the territory lost tot he nemesis of the Satavahana, the Western Ksatrapas.
This is a copper/potin coin of Yajna Sri Satakarni.
Obv: Elephant facing right, Bramhi legends top 'Siri Yana Sa(ta kani sa)',
Rev:Satabahana symbol, 3.00 gm, 15.8  mm, In complete natural grade with green patina,
AICR# 689
Wt: 3.00 gm
Dia: 15.8  mm
Thanks,
Saikat

Edit: Overlay changed as corrected by THCoins
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:30:08 AM by Saikat »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Satavahana, Yajna Sri Satakarni, copper unit
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 07:00:18 PM »
Good representative specimen of the type with the two crucial characters of the name fully visible.
I did not focus on ancient Brahmi a lot over the last period. So again ran into an old confusion i already experienced previously about the writing of the name.
In Latin script the common transcription is Yajna. Than it seems odd that your Brahmi overlay is YaNa. But i remembered it is not the common Na. Looking at the preferred Latin transcription this is the palatal ña. Thinking of España, this should sound more like Nja, than Jna. Also in the ISO Brahmi scriptchart, see below, the character is defined NYA. Since I started learning the Indic scripts i encountered a lot of this apparent discrepancies. The best thing experience has learnt me is that I do not let it bother me anymore. It is one of those inconsistencies which will keep people better in interpreting foreign languages than computers for the next few decades  :)

Anthony

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 03:31:07 AM »
Anthony,
Many thanks for the correction. I have updated the overlay.
Saikat

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 09:49:48 AM »
 :like: :like:

I know what it's like, Saikat. I am also learning a new script and language. It feels great, even when you are still making mistakelets :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 10:45:42 AM »
It is not really a mistake !
The fact is that writingscripts were designed to encode the sounds present in a language. There is a limit in the possibilities of Latin script to transcribe Sanskrit because most Western languages do not have have a distinction between 4 or 5 different types of "Na".

Anthony

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »
To make the matter further complicated, the language here is not Sanskrit but Prakrit. Prakrit is the broken form of Sanskrit spoken by common people. Sanskrit is more formal language used for books, though Prakrit also survived in literature. In Kalidasa's Shakuntala, high-class male characters typically speak Sanskrit, while the low-class male characters and most female characters typically speak Prakrit.

Had this been Sanskrit, the Kings name would have been Sri Yagnya Satakarni Sya (of Sri Yagna Satakarni) but in Prakrit it came down to Siri Yanya Satakani Sa.
Also note that the alphabet "nya"  is not very common use, separate from "na" and not represented in latin.
That's all grammar I can remember!
Saikat

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 08:46:20 PM »
Agree with you on the Sanskrit/Pakrit distinction. Only did an introductory course on Sankrit grammar. Though the grammatic structure has a certain elegance, it felt as a bit to much for normal communication. More or less the same experience i had with classical Latin years ago.
I once sat down with someone of Sikh descent from Mumbai, and someone from Kerala. I consulted them about the correct pronunciation of several words. There were some words on which they agreed on the pronunciation. But to my Dutch ears the pronunciation of the two gentleman was mostly totally different  :-\ Luckily coins have only a limited vocabulary !