Author Topic: Germany: Two commemorative €2 coins in 2020  (Read 610 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Germany: Two commemorative €2 coins in 2020
« on: July 25, 2019, 08:18:55 PM »
Next year Germany will issue two commemorative €2 coins again. One is part of the Länder (German States) series and will honor the state of Brandenburg. That theme and design has been known for a while ...

The other theme will be the 50th anniversary of Willy Brandt's Kniefall in Warsaw. Design of that one is not known yet. The Brandenburg coin, which shows Sanssouci Palace in the state capital Potsdam, will come in late January; the Kniefall piece is scheduled for early October. Also see the schedule posted here .

Christian

Offline quaziright

Re: Germany: Two commemorative €2 coins in 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 08:28:24 PM »
Its all starting to look the same to me lol, so its good to have these images in large so that one can appreciate the details. I didn't have much time in 2017 when i visited Berlin last as i spent most of my time in the WMF halls. However, the weather was crappy and Berlin looked pretty trashy (more so than usual according to my friend from Leipzig). But I definitely plan on visiting the city again when its summer (not this year though) and visit Potsdam to see the palaces.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 06:44:38 PM »
Yes, in late Jan/early Feb (WMF time) the Berlin/Potsdam area is too cold, and these days it is, like pretty much every place in this country, too hot. Maybe spring or fall work best. :)

As for the Kniefall (Warsaw Genuflection) coin, we pretty much know what will be depicted; attached is an image from hdg.de that I sized down. Since the "usable area" of a €2 coin is not that big, I doubt the Warsaw Ghetto Memorial (where this took place) will be part of the design. But we will see.

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 10:50:30 AM »
I was 21 at the time it happened, yet don't remember the event. I guess it didn't get as much press as his Ostpolitik. Looking back now, it was exactly the right emotional gesture of an intelligent, powerful man, confronted with an ugly past. No blabla on how the Soviets halted their advance to Warsaw, so that the Nazis could do the murderous work for them, but straightforward, taking responsibility and showing remorse, therefore admirable moral strength. In that sense, it was a small victory over communism also. Quite an appropriate subject for a commemorative.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 11:47:30 PM »
That Kniefall is very closely connected to the Ostpolitik - after all, Brandt was there to sign the Treaty of Warsaw. As for that "small victory", hmm, I don't see that. The memorial is not the one about the 1944 Warsaw Uprising (where your comment would certainly make sense) but the 1943 Ghetto Heroes Monument. Interestingly, the square is called Skwer Willy‘ego Brandta today ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 12:07:21 AM »
This is the design of the "Kniefall" €2 coin, by Bodo Broschat. Basically I like it, but since only a relatively small portion of the obverse can be used for the design while the ring is always reserved for that huge circle of stars, this may be a tad busy. (We just had a similar issue with this year's Fall of the Berlin Wall coin.) Will have to see the actual piece for a final verdict though. ;)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 09:06:33 PM »
This Kniefall coin will be issued on 8 October.