Author Topic: Leave Centre Pass Calcutta  (Read 286 times)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Leave Centre Pass Calcutta
« on: August 12, 2019, 08:34:58 PM »
Does anyone know any more than the obvious about this piece?
It is Aluminium, diameter 35mm, thickness about 1mm, all design incuse, flat back.

Legends: “LEAVE CENTRE”, “PASS”, “CALCUTTA”, then stamped “R” and “F13”.

As yet I have only worked out the basics. I soon confirmed what I had guessed the purpose of a “leave centre” to be and that there was at least one such place in Calcutta, India. A “leave centre” was evidently somewhere for soldiers to spend some or all of their leave. I suppose that would been for a period of leave of a week or two.

Can this pass be placed in time? Or even a more exact location? Could the stamped “R” and “F13” be about the place and a room number within that place? Or perhaps these numbers/letters relate to the owner of the pass?

Can any one help?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Leave Centre Pass Calcutta
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 08:44:07 AM »
Not the leave centre at Calcutta but I found this one here:

...There was a bus awaiting us at the station.  We were soon driven to our home for the next week or two.  It was Arranmore Palace.  Owned by the Rajah of Jhodpur, and lent by him during the war as a leave centre for officers.  I had expected to see a castle of some sort, with seven foot thick walls, and dungeons etc.  Instead, it was a modern mansion with lovely grounds laid out in true English fashion.  Inside, the house was beautifully laid out.  There was a large dining room, lounge, reading rooms, ballroom, billiard room - everything one could desire.  The furnishings were expensive and tasteful.  One could see the Rajah was an animal lover - the walls were covered with trophies of his gun !...
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 09:06:06 AM »
and at Cyprus:

...Meanwhile at Troodos high up in the mountains, a number of British service personnel, civilian support staff and their families had been marooned at the British Forces leave centre and personnel manning RAF Troodos had been confined to their tiny base. ....
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 12:39:31 PM »
Thanks for those bits of information - that backs up what I had imagined a "leave centre" to be.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »
Can this pass be placed in time? Or even a more exact location? Could the stamped “R” and “F13” be about the place and a room number within that place? Or perhaps these numbers/letters relate to the owner of the pass?

Obviously before India's independence. As tensions increased, India must have felt more and more like a war zone to British army men. The idea of a recreation centre, a safe place, away from the base, but not too far away either, to relax and get a grip on normality again, is logical in those circumstances.

The R and F13 were stamped in later. The hole suggests that it could be used as a key ring, but another possibility is that it was given out when the soldier left the premises, to be returned on re-entry (or the other way around), so that it could be established quickly who was in or out in case of a military emergency. The two functions could have been combined. Until the development of the electronic key card, hotel keys and key tags were very large on purpose, so that the key would not leave the hotel. That was not only safer for the guest, but it also reduced the risk of having to make new keys or even calling a locksmith. R may indeed be for room, with F denoting a building or floor.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.