Author Topic: Two Phokas folles, comparable  (Read 225 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Two Phokas folles, comparable
« on: July 18, 2019, 09:29:13 PM »
These two coins are the same type. I like the detailed clothing of the emperor, a 'consular robe' I'm told, but don't know how it should look on a coin, and why a Byzantine emperor was wearing it.

Left: Byzantium, Phokas (602-610). AE follis (40 nummi), Constantinopel, 604. Obv.: D M (sic?) FOCA PERP A.G, facing bust of Phokas, wearing consular robes, holding mappa & cross. Rev.: large XXXX, ANNO above, II to right, exergue unclear. 29 mm, 11.44 gr.

Right: Byzantium, Phokas (602-610). AE follis (40 nummi), Constantinopel, 604. Obv.: [D] N FOCA PERP [AVG], facing bust of Phocas, wearing consular robes, holding mappa & cross. Rev.: large XXXX, ANNO above, II/ I to right, CON Δ below in exergue. 29 x 25 mm, 13.06 gr.

-- Paul

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Two Phokas folles, comparable
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 11:03:27 PM »
We call them Byzantines, but they still called themselves Romans and kept up the traditions of Rome, including the consulte. The emperor often (as in the Western Empire) took on the office of consul, usually on his accession to the throne.

Phocas assumed the title in 603 (see List of Roman consuls - Wikipedia(535%E2%80%93887) )

Alan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Two Phokas folles, comparable
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 01:48:42 PM »
Another nicety, the PERP (AVG), which survived in the Holy Roman Empire (Germany) as SEMPER AVGUVSTVS, or just S.A.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.