Author Topic: Unidentified token Palette Restaurant  (Read 267 times)

Offline johnkooij

Unidentified token Palette Restaurant
« on: June 12, 2019, 08:49:42 PM »
This is a 20.8 mm brass token, with stated value 100. Who can tell me about it?

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Re: Unidentified token Palette Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »

A South Korean company by the name Elcanto Co. Ltd. tried to trademark this logo in South Korea in 1995. They also tried to trademark a version of the logo with the text in Korean. Both applications were refused in 1997. They tried it again in 2009 but it was again refused.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:57:37 PM by eurocoin »

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 02:35:57 PM »
In 1994 the South Korean company Elcanto Co. Ltd. opened a 7-storey fashion department store called V-Exchange in the Myeongdong area in Seoul. It was mainly aimed at people between the ages of 15 and 25. One year later, in 1995, a restaurant was opened on the fifth floor of the building which they called the Palette Restaurant. It was not a conventional restaurant but rather the name of a so-called food court consisting of 13 different vendors ranging from a pizzeria to a chinese restaurant, a coffee shop, salad bar, hamburger and icecream shops but also restaurants that sold more typical asian dishes. The shops and restaurants of the food court were divided over 3 zones: western, oriental and snack. It was not only used by shoppers but also by regular people. In 1997 a second V-Exchange was opened. From what I understand this branch was smaller and did not have a Palette restaurant. Not long after that, the entire Elcanto concern went bankrupt as a result of the Asian financial crisis that started in 1997. Parts of the concern were sold and are still in business today, not the V-Exchange and Palette restaurant though.

It is known that V-Exchange used to give away small gifts to both people who just entered the building as well as to people who bought for a certain amount. I think it is possible that these tokens may also have been distributed that way. The V shape on the reverse is (a part of) the logo of V-Exchange.

It is interesting you obtained this token, given the 'restaurant' only existed for a few years.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:48:23 AM by eurocoin »

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 08:45:33 AM »
I noticed another on eBay today listed as British but no doubt a guess! same value of 100
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.