Sultanate of Bengal, B181, Sikandar bin Ilyas 1358–1390 , Tanka

Started by sarwar khan, July 12, 2019, 02:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarwar khan

The Ilyas Shahi dynasty also called the was the first independent Turkic Muslim ruling dynasty in late medieval Bengal, which ruled from the 14th century to the 15th century. It was founded in 1342 by Shamsuddin Iliyas Shah.

After Shamsuddin's death, his son Sikandar Shah ascended the throne. Sikandar would rule for the next 30 years and built the Adina Masjid in Pandua in 1368 and Kotowali Darwaza in Gauḍa. Ghiyasuddin Azam Shah, son of Sikandar Shah succeeded the throne and established friendly relationships with the Ming Empire of China and encouraged trade. During his reign, Ma Huan, a Chinese traveller visited Bengal.The reign of Sikandar Shah lasted for three decades. It was characterized by stability and prosperity.Sikandar Shah liked the association of learned persons and respected the clergy and Sufis. He continued the liberal and tolerant practices of his father.

Details about the coin :-
Sultan :-Abul Mujahid Sikandar Shah
سکندر شاہ ( AD 1358–1390)
Denomination :- Silver Tanka
Obverse :- al -sultan al-adil shams ud dunya wa'l din abu'l muzaffar ilyas shah al-sultan.
Reverse :- al-sikander al sani yamin al khilafa nasir amir ul mominin in centre, Around Hazrath Firozabad & hijri date.
Weight :-10.03gram
Rarity :- Scarce

I am also attach the image of sikander shah  tomb situated at Adina masjid

Regards
Muhammad sarwar khan
Jabalpur
Madhya pradesh

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Figleaf

I wonder if Ilyas (like Iskander) is a late leftover of Macedonian influence. Or is it a common name on the Indian peninsula?

The photo made me feel like undertaking a big trip. Maybe some other year.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.