Author Topic: UK Commemorative coins for 2020  (Read 3695 times)

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
Re: UK Commemorative coins for 2020
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2020, 11:24:57 AM »
I can’t think of many commemorative coins that aren’t produced (and even available) before the event has happened?  Aside from memorial coins (Churchill, Diana and the Queen Mother) every commemorative coin is available beforehand.  I suppose Brexit was a bit different though, as getting it through Parliament was a nightmare until the general election.  There’s certainly no harm in it being produced now.

The Liberal Democrats need to get over it - it’s happening whether they like it or not.  The irony is that their leader Jo Swinson, despite being a staunch remainer, failed to retain her seat as her Scottish voters (you know, those apparent staunch remainers being forced out of the EU against their will) didn’t vote her back in.

Well, those that have been released before hand, like the Olympics coins, there's been a definite date at which it would happen.

The Brexit coin for October 31st cost the country a lot of money. That's the problem.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2020, 01:35:29 PM »
Anyway, back to topic as I’m not going to become embroiled in any disagreements over Brexit on here.  I’ve got over it.

Apparently the cost of producing and melting down the 2019 Brexit coins is met by the Royal Mint which, to all intents and purposes, is now a private limited company fully owned by the government.  Presumably collectors are paying for it one way or another.

Well, that’s according to The Sun anyway, so it must be true...  ;)

Brexit 50p coin to enter circulation on January 31 – The Sun

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2020, 02:59:09 PM »

Well, that’s according to The Sun anyway, so it must be true...  ;)

Brexit 50p coin to enter circulation on January 31 – The Sun

Just reading articles on there about coins, and you see why people are going coin crazy. Everything "could be" worth "tonnes of money" according to the Sun.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2020, 05:07:03 PM »
Well, those that have been released before hand, like the Olympics coins, there's been a definite date at which it would happen.

The Brexit coin for October 31st cost the country a lot of money. That's the problem.

To be fair, this time (i.e. 31 January), the Brexit date is as definite as any act of humankind can be. Sure, something really unexpected can disrupt plans, but that is as true of the Olympics or a coronation as it is of Brexit. Having taken the decision that it's an appropriate topic for commemoration on a coin, it seems perfectly reasonable to publicise it now. They could easily have done so before Christmas, when it was clear that the political hurdles had been overcome.

The problem with the earlier attempts was that there was no political decision on which to base the issuing decision; it really was a case of counting chickens before they'd hatched. Given the parliamentary arithmetic at the time, it was entirely foreseeable in both March and October last year that Brexit would be delayed. Whoever insisted in the face of such clear evidence that coin production should go ahead anyway should really be in the dock facing charges of misconduct in public office.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2020, 10:25:59 AM »
A memory jogger of the Brexit journey to accompany the 50p release:

A referendum was held on Thursday, 23 Jun 16, to decide whether the UK should leave or remain in the European Union. Leave won by 51.9% to 48.1%. The referendum turnout was 71.8%, with more than 30m people voting. For the UK to leave the EU it had to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty giving the two sides two years to agree the terms of the split.

This process was triggered on 29 Mar 17, meaning the UK should have left at 11pm UK time on Friday, 29 Mar 19. MPs could not agree on a proposed UK-EU deal and a delay to Brexit was granted until 31 Oct. A draft revised withdrawal agreement was passed by Parliament on 22 Oct, but with little time left to ratify it and turn it into UK law before 31 Oct, a further extension was granted until 31 Jan 20.

Following a general election on 12 Dec 19, giving a large Conservative majority, the Brexit bill was passed in Jan 20 and the UK will leave the EU at 11pm on 31 Jan 2020 (midnight Dutch time). The first member state to withdraw from the EU (27 states remain).

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2020, 10:57:24 AM »
The first 5 pound coin in the Music Legends series will be available tomorrow. As previously mentioned it will commemorate Queen.

The second coin in the series will commemorate the Beatles.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2020, 11:32:02 AM »
The first 5 pound coin in the Music Legends series will be available tomorrow. As previously mentioned it will commemorate Queen.

Queen on both sides of the coin then?

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2020, 12:53:30 PM »
I’m not commenting but someone on Change Checker’s Facebook post put “Hoping for AC/DC, Metallica etc and not Queen on both sides.”  Quite why it would be one of the other two anyway is beyond me.  I won’t comment on there, not going to spoil Change Checker’s belief that they have exclusive knowledge no one else knows yet.   ;D

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2020, 05:51:49 AM »
Discount code BND221 for a free 5 pound coin if you purchase a 2020 annual set.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »

It will be interesting to see how popular the Music Legends series will be. I logged in to RM at 9am Monday to see if I would be in a queue. Got almost instant access.

I am not interested in £5 coins and it looks like interest will be limited from first impressions.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2020, 09:59:30 AM »
The first coin in the series is the Megalosaurus 50p. It will be released soon.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2020, 10:29:30 AM »
The first coin in the series is the Megalosaurus 50p. It will be released soon.

Does this refer to the cryptic message in an email received yesterday from RM?

"Tales of the Earth Coming Soon. 
Discover the secrets beneath your feet. Be among the first to uncover an incredible story of British discovery."

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2020, 01:52:20 PM »
And I thought an incredible story of British discovery referred to putting milk in your tea. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2020, 08:41:23 AM »
The Megalosaurus 50p will be available from 9 am GMT. For the first time the Royal Mint releases 2 different versions in BU quality. One coloured version for 20 pounds that works with augmented reality and a non-coloured version for 10 pounds. There will also be 2 versions in proof quality. A non-coloured version for 60 pounds and a coloured version for 65 pounds. Only the coin featuring the Megalosaurus will be available today. The other 2 coins in the series will be released later in the year.

As of today the Megalosaurus 50p will be the next SYO at the Royal Mint Experience.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:30:25 AM by eurocoin »

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2020, 09:16:11 AM »
The dinosaur 50p coins will not be released into general circulation. The other 2 coins in the series will be released in March and April.