Author Topic: UK Commemorative coins for 2020  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Deeman

Re: UK Commemorative coins for 2020
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
Alan71, here is another possibility for 2020.

Quote from: eurocoin on May 30, 2018, 06:50:36 PM
themes that did not make it onto UK commemorative coins of 2017:

--150th anniversary of the opening of the first Barnardo's home for homeless children

"On researching this theme idea, it became apparent that the 150th anniversary of the opening of the first shelter is actually in 2020. In 2017 it is 150 years since he opened a ragged school in the East End of London. It is recommended to postpone the commemoration until 2020."

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2020, 10:17:03 PM »
Rupert Bear is planned for next year as it is then 100 years since it was first published.
Thanks!  That’s from another topic.  Have to admit I only checked this one, so thanks for the clarification.  And thanks for the Barnardo’s reminder.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2020, 10:58:44 PM »
The Team GB 50p designed by David Knapton.

Perhaps David is a student of Egyptian archaeology.

The design is reminiscent of hieroglyphs.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2020, 12:08:47 PM »
According to the information card on the 2020 year set, RM state that the Mayflower set sail from Plymouth on 16 September 1620.

This is an incorrect statement as it should be 6 September 1620 in accordance with the Julian calendar that was in use in England at the time.

The Julian Calendar was replaced by the Gregorian Calendar in 1752, changing the formula for calculating leap years. Eleven days were dropped from the month of September 1752. September 2  was followed by September 14.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2020, 02:47:36 PM »
The Mayflower coin was designed by Chris Costello and sculpted by Jody Clark.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2020, 01:01:42 PM »
The Team GB coin has been voted by Change Checkers as their favourite 2020 annual coin.

No accounting for taste!!!!!

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2020, 01:31:57 PM »
The Team GB coin has been voted by Change Checkers as their favourite 2020 annual coin.

No accounting for taste!!!!!
Yes, I saw that.  And someone even commented that they liked the 2011 WWF design.  Thankfully I don’t take the Facebook generation of collectors too seriously, call me a numismatic snob and all that...

Offline Deeman

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2020, 01:46:24 PM »
I wonder how many collectors can identify all the sports symbols?

Some are obvious and some are baffling.

There is a carabiner & rope to the right of the lions head for sport climbing. But what are the two symbols along the bottom row to the left & right of the wavy line?

The events list is:

Aquatics; Archery; Athletics; Badminton; Baseball/Softball; Basketball; Boxing; Canoe; Cycling
Equestrian; Fencing; Football; Golf; Gymnastics; Handball; Hockey; Judo; Karate; Modern Pentathlon
Rowing; Rugby; Sailing; Shooting; Skateboarding; Sport Climbing; Surfing; Table Tennis
Taekwondo; Tennis; Triathlon; Volleyball; Weightlifting; Wrestling

Paralympic events:
Archery; Athletics; Badminton; Boccia; Canoe; Cycling; Equestrian; Football 5-a-side; Goalball
Judo; Powerlifting; Rowing; Shooting; Sitting Volleyball; Swimming; Table Tennis; Taekwondo
Triathlon; Wheelchair Basketball; Wheelchair Fencing; Wheelchair Rugby; Wheelchair Tennis

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2020, 03:20:04 PM »
Yes, I saw that.  And someone even commented that they liked the 2011 WWF design.  Thankfully I don’t take the Facebook generation of collectors too seriously, call me a numismatic snob and all that...

From one numismatic snob to another.... what the [insert strong word] are they seeing?

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2020, 10:20:54 AM »
But what are the two symbols along the bottom row to the left & right of the wavy line?

The one to the right of the wavy line is a helmet for water polo. The thing to the left possibly is a diving board for diving.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »
The one to the right of the wavy line is a helmet for water polo. The thing to the left possibly is a diving board for diving.

Thanks eurocoin. It makes sense keeping water sports grouped together - diving, sailing, swimming, water polo.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »
In the House of Lords, the Liberal Democrats and crossbencher Lord Butler of Brockwell have yesterday criticized the issuance of commemorative 50 pence coins for Brexit.

According to them the coins commemorate division and their issuance is silly. They urged the government to cancel the issuance of the coin and to melt down any pieces that had already been made.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2020, 08:13:51 AM »
I don't have a problem with them commemorating something that is, quite frankly, one of the most important events in the UK in my lifetime, regardless of whether it's positive or negative.

However where I see the problem is making it before the event has even happened.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2020, 09:14:45 AM »
However where I see the problem is making it before the event has even happened.
I can’t think of many commemorative coins that aren’t produced (and even available) before the event has happened?  Aside from memorial coins (Churchill, Diana and the Queen Mother) every commemorative coin is available beforehand.  I suppose Brexit was a bit different though, as getting it through Parliament was a nightmare until the general election.  There’s certainly no harm in it being produced now.

The Liberal Democrats need to get over it - it’s happening whether they like it or not.  The irony is that their leader Jo Swinson, despite being a staunch remainer, failed to retain her seat as her Scottish voters (you know, those apparent staunch remainers being forced out of the EU against their will) didn’t vote her back in.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2020, 10:49:37 AM »
I can’t think of many commemorative coins that aren’t produced (and even available) before the event has happened?  Aside from memorial coins (Churchill, Diana and the Queen Mother) every commemorative coin is available beforehand.  I suppose Brexit was a bit different though, as getting it through Parliament was a nightmare until the general election.  There’s certainly no harm in it being produced now.

The Liberal Democrats need to get over it - it’s happening whether they like it or not.  The irony is that their leader Jo Swinson, despite being a staunch remainer, failed to retain her seat as her Scottish voters (you know, those apparent staunch remainers being forced out of the EU against their will) didn’t vote her back in.

You conveniently fail to note that Swinson lost her seat to the SNP, who are not exactly known for their full-blooded support for Brexit, and who more generally achieved a convincing victory in Scotland. General elections are about more than one issue; if this one had only been about Brexit, there'd have been no votes for any party other than the Lib Dems and Brexit Party, while in reality neither of those parties performed well.

More generally, can we stop with the "XXX need to get over it" please? The whole point of a democracy is that people are free to campaign for policies that they believe in. Just because you lose a given election or referendum does not mean that you instantly are converted to whatever the result was. When Labour wins general elections we never expect the Tories to say, "Oh yes, of course you were right all along, we're all going to join Labour and depart from everything we've ever said we believe in", and vice versa. I really don't understand why the situation should be any different in a referendum. Yes, the result is what it is, Brexit is happening. Fine. But I object in the strongest possible terms to any suggestion that any political issue is done and dusted. That way lies dictatorship. A decision has been arrived at on Brexit, which is in force until another democratic decision amends or reverses it. That is how democracy works.

Leave won the referendum. Leave have now won the parliamentary wrangling. Leave now have the responsibility to negotiate in the country's best interests, and can be expected to be held to account for what they do. You won; get over it  ;)