Author Topic: Danish counterstamps  (Read 51 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Danish counterstamps
« on: July 10, 2019, 12:37:44 PM »
The use of foreign copper coins for advertising was also common in Denmark, using Swedish (sometimes Norwegian or Finnish) 5 öre/penniä coins because defacing Danish coins was illegal.

Here are two I have. I have drawn a blank on locating Hotel Mollberg in Copenhagen; a Google search is frustrated by the current existence of a hotel by the same name in Helsingborg. Either way, there appears to be no such hotel any longer in Copenhagen.

Allan Dahl, owner of an advertising bureau, was prolific in his emission of countermarked Swedish coins. The website danskmoent.dk has this to say about him:

Indehaveren af dette annonce-bureau var ritmester Allan Aly Hendrik Dahl, han oprettede sit annoncebureau 1882-83 i Admiralgade København. På nogle af hans reklamemønter er der indslået K.A. måske skal dette stå for "Kjøbenhavns Annoncebureau". Firmaet blev benævnt "Annoncebureau for Permanent Avertissement." Han var kendt som lejer af Statsbanernes reklameskilte.

The owner of this advertising bureau was the cavalry captain Allan Aly Hendrik Dahl. He founded the business in 1882/3 on Admiralgade in Copenhagen. Some of his advertising coins show the counterstamp K.A., which may stand for Kjøbenhavns Annoncebureau". The firm was later named "Annoncebureau for Permanent Avertissement". He was known as a hirer of the state railways' advertising hoardings.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Danish counterstamps
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:47:00 PM »
This may help. I may have stayed in this hotel on my first trip abroad, in 1958. I don't remember the name of the hotel, but I do remember the tramway and Vesterbrogade.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline JBK

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 05:52:14 PM »
Thx for the information (and translation!) on coins used in Denmark.

I have an Allan Dahl counterstamp but never knew the source.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:13:55 PM »
The use of foreign copper coins for advertising was also common in Denmark, using Swedish (sometimes Norwegian or Finnish) 5 öre/penniä coins because defacing Danish coins was illegal.

Here are two I have. I have drawn a blank on locating Hotel Mollberg in Copenhagen; a Google search is frustrated by the current existence of a hotel by the same name in Helsingborg. Either way, there appears to be no such hotel any longer in Copenhagen.

Allan Dahl, owner of an advertising bureau, was prolific in his emission of countermarked Swedish coins. The website danskmoent.dk has this to say about him:

The owner of this advertising bureau was the cavalry captain Allan Aly Hendrik Dahl. He founded the business in 1882/3 on Admiralgade in Copenhagen. Some of his advertising coins show the counterstamp K.A., which may stand for Kjøbenhavns Annoncebureau". The firm was later named "Annoncebureau for Permanent Avertissement". He was known as a hirer of the state railways' advertising hoardings.

According to Brunk's listing in his reference, the Mollberg was located at 9 St. Kongensgade. He referenced (Jensen 1993) as his source. I'm not familiar with a Jensen reference, so can't verify it. Another example on a 1875 5 ore is engraved with the Lord's Prayer in Danish on the reverse, and a third known example has a second counterstamp applied "Landhotellete / 30 Landmemaerket 30". (1875 Swedish 5 ore). This second stamp also appears independently on 40+ Norwegian and Swedish coins. Apparently, they were competitors.

Allan Dahl's business, at least when it was known as the Bureau for permanent Advertisement was at 26 Trollesgade. There are 60+ examples of his counterstamp known. One example has an added stamp "J.H. Pohlmann". I have no information on the identity of Pohlmann.

Bruce

Bruce

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:41:10 AM »
Excellent, thank you for the extra info both!  :)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 11:36:18 AM »
The Jensen reference used by Brunk is listed in his bibliography as: Jensen, Carl-Erik / Nordiske Monter i Reklamens Tjeneste. Viborg

I also found three other hotels in Copenhagen that issued counterstamped coins. Hotel Faxe at 11 Larsbjornstraede, the Landmans at 28 Landemaerket, and the Metropole at 55 Radhuspladsen. I believe all this information came from the Jensen reference as well.

Bruce
Bruce