Author Topic: Civic copper of Khoy, horseman brandishing a sword  (Read 114 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Civic copper of Khoy, horseman brandishing a sword
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »
16,65g / 21mm
This coin is listed by B. Alaedini p. 104 and depicted as :"cavalier fighting dragon with sword"; I think that there is neither dragon on my coin nor on Alaedini's, but only a galloping horseman brandishing a sword.
"zarb Khoy" / undated
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Civic copper of Khoy, horseman brandishing a sword
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 01:28:54 PM »
I think you are quite right, saro. Dragons are part of European culture - and different dragons, that are spoilt, not fought, are part of several East Asian cultures. In addition, dragons are fought with lances, not swords. Makes sense if they spit fire.

Also, the word sword is a bit of a misnomer since a sword is in principle straight and its primary use is stabbing, so it should be held point forward when charging (Hollywood disagrees on this.) This is a scimitar, a bent sabre, used for hacking. It is much lighter than your average sword, so fatigue is less of a problem for the owner and a major problem for a swordsman.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 07:11:57 PM »
Thank you Peter, scimitar (or shamshir) is the good denomination.
Dragons belong also to persian culture : the mythic hero Rustam (Rostam) and his horse Rakhsh fighting a dragon (with a sword) is found on many iranian paintings...
Some civic coppers copy russian coins showing St George fighting a dragon (with a lance); may be persians saw Rustam and not St George....

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »
Rustam on his brave horse Rakhsh slaying the dragon (illustration from the Shahnameh) to compare with this copper coin of Kermanshahan showing St George fighting the dragon (from Zeno), copied from the well known russian coppers.