Linked Events

• 17th Annual Coin, Banknote and Philately Fair - Mumbai: September 20, 2019 - September 22, 2019

Author Topic: 17th Annual Coin, Banknote and Philately Fair - Mumbai  (Read 1479 times)

Offline idiotghost

Re: 17th Annual Coin, Banknote and Philately Fair - Mumbai
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »
Congratulations Amit for winning the award.

I met a gentleman AP Singh during Todywala Auctions there in the evening. He bid for multiple expensive coins & bought a lot of coins. He knew a lot of things about coins & was studying the same. He had bought a suitcase full of books to study & buy what he wanted.

Thanks

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2019, 12:56:59 PM »
Congratulations Amit for winning the award.
Thanks Parth.

I met a gentleman AP Singh during Todywala Auctions there in the evening. He bid for multiple expensive coins & bought a lot of coins. He knew a lot of things about coins & was studying the same. He had bought a suitcase full of books to study & buy what he wanted.
You just met a guy from whom you should keep an arms length. Can't mention his records here....... so I won't. I sincerely advice you not to even think of him again.

Amit

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2019, 01:11:50 PM »
Exactly. That's one of those things I was thinking about. The sort of thing that will get people's attention as well as yet another fun memory of a moment of appreciation for what you have done. Congratulations!
Peter
Thanks Peter. Some of them did surely help but Pokhraj Surana in particular, not only rememberd me from an earlier meeting where I had asked him some pointed questions on the coins of Ahmedabad, he brought up this point on the coins which, though I had observed, had never struck me as odd. That is the sign of a genius.

My experience is similar and not restricted to coins. There are never enough good speakers who do the research to have a story to tell, so one thing leads to another. You get people interested in your story, they seek you out and tell you what they know of your story. You get to meet people you would not have met otherwise and you get your perks.
I fully agree with this. A good many friends, with whom I am in touch daily and who are aware of many coins, whose details are yet not in public domain, were now prepared to share their thoughts with me - in fact have agreed to help me in my future work but are unwilling to talk or open out in general.

Apart from meeting the people, I like the perks. As an example, I have had a meal in a Portuguese palace, a Dutch wine ch√Ęteau, the Tower of London, the parliament of Westminster, the European parliament, the German parliament when it was still in Bonn, the castle of the archbishop of Salzburg and huge lodgings of noblemen in Vienna, Rome and Greenwich. Great fun, but I suspect that anyone who gets beyond stage fright and knows how to do research with a computer can do that sort of thing, so don't just collect, find out stuff and let the world know what you have found out.
Peter
Unfortunately, I am not the type who likes to move around after a hard days toil (in fact, I hit the bed early) and if I like the food at one place, I prefer not to experiment - may be because being a strict spicy food loving  vegetarian, I prefer to return to the same place, if I have loved the food rather than try new places.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"