Author Topic: Poland Telephone tokens  (Read 92 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Poland Telephone tokens
« on: July 07, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »
I have constructed a new Poland Telephone tokens page comprising three tokens A, B and C with a variety of each of these.

The small A tokens are for local calls lasting three minutes; the larger C tokens for long distance calls. Can anyone enlighten on the use of the 'B' token? ???

(Turkey has three token sizes used respectively for for urban calls; intercity calls; international calls)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Poland Telephone tokens
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 08:56:06 AM »
Polish phone tokens are a neat addition, Malcolm. Thank you!

My guess is that the B tokens were for local calls longer than 3 minutes. You could try a PM to our member ford.ka.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline ford.ka

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 12:08:40 PM »
I don't remember this too well (well, it was in the early 1990s...) so I had to google the issue and found this page - ?etony telefoniczne | Telefony PRL - which generally confirms what I can remember. There were three types of Tokens A, B, and C - there value was fixed in units (the unit being equal to the price of 3 minute long local call) at 1, 5 and 10 respectively. The original prices of a unit was 150 Polish zloty (0,015PLN in current zloty) but it went up to 600 zlotys (0,06PLN). They did not have a fixed function i.e. you could pay for international calls with tokens A if you managed to feed them to the payphone quickly enough, only a fixed value. The B token was similar in size to the largely defunct by then 2 zloty coin (KM 80) so it was phased out within a year to cut the losses. The token operated payphones disappeared in the mid-1990s, the last ones were gone in 2001. The final mintage is unknown - 300 million were supposed to be prepared originally - they were struck at Warsaw (with mintmark) and Kremnica (no mintmark) mints. Nickel-plated or nickel test tokens are also known.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
Thank you that is a great help.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.