Author Topic: Proposed joint 2 euro CC Erasmus Programme  (Read 521 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Proposed joint 2 euro CC Erasmus Programme
« on: July 05, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »
The EU is considering to once more issue a joint 2 euro commemorative coin in 2022. Last year Mario Draghi mentioned that the issuance of a joint 2 euro coin for Charlemagne was being considered, which may possibly be the theme of this coin.

In the past such coins were issued in 2007, 2009, 2012 and 2015.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:43:26 AM by eurocoin »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Proposed joint 2 euro CC Erasmus Programme
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »
Hmmm. My first question is, what would the occasion be, some anniversary? And then ... while Charlemagne was/is certainly relevant for several euro area member states, that is not the case for all.

Besides - since there is no "European" body that could issue such a coin, it would be a set of 19 (plus x) different and yet not really different coins. :) Some of which would probably not even be issued at face (see Belgium, possibly others too). Not really enthusiastic here ...

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 01:16:37 PM »
Either way, it won't be long now before we know the official theme of the coin.

The coins issued for the 30th anniversary of the EU flag in 2015 were a bit of a disaster. Bad theme (which even the mints acknowledged) and very low mintages. As a coin roll hunter I have so far managed to find 7 different ones, the average person would likely only get 1 or 2 in their change. I agree with you that every country using the same design makes it boring. On the bright side, at least the Netherlands will now finally issue a new commemorative coin. We have been waiting since 2015.  ::)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 01:39:19 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 02:24:52 PM »
Hmmm. My first question is, what would the occasion be, some anniversary?

It's hard to pin down when exactly Charles' reign started. His father died in 768, but the Franks made both Charles and Carloman his successors. Carloman died on 5th December 771. If there was some delay before Charles was officially recognised sole king, his reign would have started in 772, so 2022 would be the 1250th anniversary (multiply 1250 by 8 or divide by 50 to make it seem somewhat relevant).

And then ... while Charlemagne was/is certainly relevant for several euro area member states, that is not the case for all.

True, but there is a Brussels myth that sees Charlemagne is an early unifier of "Europe" and that unification, not the success rate, is the common factor. One of the most important EU buildings is named after Charlemagne. Other would-be "unifiers", such as the papacy, Charles V, Louis XIV, Bonaparte and Hitler are strangely overlooked ;) More appropriate forerunners, like Victor Hugo and Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi are mostly ignored. Monnet and Schuman are known quantities, but Altiero Spinelli and Konrad Adenauer's roles remain in the shadow. The human mind works in impenetrable ways.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 07:39:12 PM »
One of the most important EU buildings is named after Charlemagne.

It is, as far as I know, the only major EU building that was deliberately named after a historic person. Lipsius was a Flemish philosopher, but the building has the name because of the street. Similarly, Berlaymont was the name of a monastery in the quarter ...

Well, assuming that a 2022 coin will not commemorate Soylent Green ;D , I would still prefer the 30th anniversary of the Maastricht Treaty to be the occasion. Will follow this with some interest but won't hold my breath.

Christian

Offline redlock

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 08:19:15 PM »
Not particularly keen on the issue.
Theme that would make the most sense: ''30th anniversary of the Maastricht Treaty''

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 09:35:01 AM »
The official proposed theme for this coin is the 35th anniversary of the Erasmus programme.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:36:13 AM by eurocoin »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
Erasmus is definitely worth commemorating. But "35 years"? Meh. Why not do it next year, and have a joint issue for the 33rd anniversary? ::)

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 11:39:26 AM »
Erasmus is definitely worth commemorating. But "35 years"? Meh. Why not do it next year, and have a joint issue for the 33rd anniversary? ::)

Christian

Maybe a 50th anniversary of this would be just relevant enough but most certainly not 35. Regardless I don't think the Erasmus programme itself is a very good theme either. Certainly not if you consider that for other, much more serious themes, no common commemorative was issued.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 11:56:21 AM »
If you must have a common issue in 2022, Richard von Coudenhove-Kalergi died in 1972. If you can wait for 2023, Richard von Coudenhove-Kalergi's book Pan-Europa, was published in 1923.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 08:33:58 PM »
While Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi certainly promoted European integration, I don't really see why the European Union as a whole (well, the euro area member states) should issue such a joint program for him. For a simple reason - if "we" honor him, there would be quite a few who deserve being honored the same way. And that would lead to a whole series of such common issues, with about 20 country-specific pieces every time. Nah, thanks. ;)

Guess the idea behind promoting the Erasmus Program is that this is something which quite a few people in the EU think positively about, either because they participated themselves, or know someone who did and liked it. And it is, or its effect are, more tangible than, say the Maastricht Treaty which in my opinion would also be worth honoring. But yes, an "Erasmus 50" coin would make more sense.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 11:53:58 PM »
Here we have the Council draft. Guess this will be "finalized" this week ...
https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-10984-2019-INIT/en/pdf

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 02:10:11 PM »
Over 7 weeks after I requested the Council of the European Union to provide me a copy of the document "Note on the new common commemorative coin (2022)"  (ST 10746/19), they still haven't done so for reasons unknown.

The document should have been provided within 3 weeks. A gross violation of my rights, which they do not seem to take serious at all.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:25:05 PM by eurocoin »

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 11:14:09 AM »
After months of waiting finally some exclusive info for WoC provided to me by the Council of the European Union:

The other themes that were considered for a common commemorative coin in 2022 were 25th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Amsterdam and the 20th anniversary of the introduction of euro cash.

A design competition will be held for the common commemorative coin. Only people that are participating in an Erasmus programme at the moment the coin competition is launched are allowed to submit a design. A professional jury will pre-select a small group of the most suitable designs and submit them to a final web-vote by Euro Area citizens.

The decision to issue a common commemorative coin in 2022 was already taken in November 2017. The theme was chosen in June 2018.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:45:18 PM by eurocoin »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »
Thanks for the news. Yeah, maybe "three weeks" translates to "a couple more" during the summer vacation period. ;D Good to hear or read that the euro cash anniversary will not be a theme so (relatively) soon after the 2012 issue. And the Amsterdam Treaty ... well, the Maastricht Treaty is obviously not worthy of a common commem, so why would that one?

As for who can submit designs, fortunately Erasmus participants are not little kids, hehe. So I expect some interesting proposals from people who are actually involved. We'll see ...

Christian