News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Proposed joint 2 euro CC Erasmus Programme

Started by eurocoin, July 05, 2019, 09:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

This will be the piece issued by Germany. Near the center you have a "D" (the one-letter abbreviation for the country; our ID cards say "DE" but maybe an ISO code is too modern for coinage ;D ); near the six o'clock star there is the mintmark. Here it is the "G" for Karlsruhe. Maximum mintage for circulation will be 20 million.

As mentioned before, the basic design (same for all coins) was done by Joaquin Jimenez. The Erasmus portrait is based on a painting by Hans Holbein d.J. (The Younger), see here.

The spelling "Programme" may look English, but in German that is the plural of "Programm". I would have preferred the singular, but either version makes sense. The press release in German is here, and a somewhat larger image is there.

Christian

eurocoin

I consider it to be an error. Not impressed at all. Their task was to translate "Erasmus programme" into german, not "Erasmus programmes". All other member states will likely have the correct, singular version on their coins. What happened to the deutsche Gründlichkeit?

Angus

Alternatively, they have not translated it, they've just copied the English original.

eurocoin

Quote from: Angus on August 25, 2021, 08:36:49 PM
Alternatively, they have not translated it, they've just copied the English original.

Maybe you are right indeed. Although, if that is indeed the case, I am not so sure what to think about Germany leaving the lettering in English, while other member states have translated it into their local languages. It does not make much sense to me.

Of some relevance here is the following sentence in their press release: "Die Bildseite der Münze unterscheidet sich in den einzelnen Euro-Mitgliedsstaaten nur durch die Anordnung und Schreibweise des Ländernamens bzw. der Länderkennung, die nationalen Münzzeichen sowie zum Teil durch die Schreibweise des Ausgabeanlasses.".

chrisild

Could be an error in the design image. Then again, the very first common €2 coin (Treaty of Rome) said "Römische Verträge" on the German piece, and "Vertrag von Rom" on the Austrian piece. ;D So that degree of flexibility may be OK again ...

Christian

chrisild

No response from the German federal government so far. Well, maybe the BMF needs more than one day for answering my question regarding the spelling - which would be perfectly OK of course. ;)

But the position of the country name or identifier seems to vary as well. Belgium wants to have "BE" in pretty much the same position where Germany has that "D". Now Portugal and Austria will apparently have three lines of characters in the lower right quarter so to say: "PROGRAMA | ERASMUS | PORTUGAL" (PT) and "ERASMUS | PROGRAMM | REPUBLIK ÖSTERREICH" (AT). We'll see what comes next ...

Christian

chrisild

Got a reply from the government (BMF). Yes, the German coin will indeed say "Programme":

"(...) In der Tat wird auf der deutschen Münze die Ereignisbezeichnung ,,ERASMUS PROGRAMME" zu lesen sein. Hintergrund ist, dass Deutschland sich im Hinblick auf die internationale, europäische Ausrichtung des Programms dafür entschieden hat, die britisch-englische Schreibweise des Ausgabeanlasses vom Originaldesign des Siegerentwurfes zu übernehmen. Die Europäische Kommission hat dies den Mitgliedstaaten freigestellt. (...)"

Christian

eurocoin

Interesting information. Good that you looked into this.

eurocoin

Given the low mintages that have so far been announced, it is again going to be completely impossible for the average collector to find all of the pieces in circulation, which is very disappointing. Even coin roll hunters will not be able to complete their sets. Issuance of all pieces will take place on or around July 1, 2022.

Austria: 1 million
Belgium: 850,000
Cyprus: 400,000
Estonia: 1 million
Finland: 800,000
Germany: ~4 million per mint (20 million in total)
Portugal: 750,000
Slovenia: 1 million

chrisild

From what I have read about the country specific details, some member states plan to use the full country name, some use the short version while others will have a country code/identifier. The term "Erasmus Program" will be displayed a little more prominently. Images and info regarding the other issues will come ... at some point. :)

Austria
1987–2022
ERASMUS
PROGRAMM
REPUBLIK ÖSTERREICH

Germany
D (roughly in the center of the coin)
1987–2022
ERASMUS
PROGRAMME (sic)

Netherlands
NL (roughly in the center of the coin)
1987–2022
ERASMUS
PROGRAMMA

Portugal
1987–2022
PROGRAMA
ERASMUS
PORTUGAL

Christian

eurocoin

This shortlisted design, that was eventually not chosen, was the work of Belgian artist Iris Bruijns. She has now designed a 5 euro collectors coin for Belgium to commemorate the European Year of Rail. At the time of the competition, Bruijns worked for the Belgian treasury in a financial function, although she held an arts degree. In May last year she followed a 2 month in-house course of the Belgian treasury where she learned how to design coins. Just like France, Belgium too announced which was their design before the vote had closed.. More information about this design can be found here (see the second image).

So we now know that at least designs of Germany, France and Belgium were shortlisted.

chrisild

A fellow collector (numisfreund) posted a link to the commems in the Official Journal of the EU today. He showed the German PDF document; here is the English one. It does not only show the coins (small images) but also lists the planned issue volumes.

(Edit) The document should at some point be available in all official EU languages. So here is the URL again; try replacing the "EN" with the two-letter code of your preferred language. :)  https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=OJ:JOC_2022_012_R_0003

Angus

Thanks, I hadn't noticed the big '35' until I saw the Lithuanian one!

Angus

Which is going to be the first country to issue this coin?

chrisild

The official date of issue is 1 July. May well be that some member states put their pieces out earlier. ;)