Author Topic: Smart phone apps that can help you collect coins  (Read 175 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Smart phone apps that can help you collect coins
« on: July 03, 2019, 08:30:33 AM »
When at last exchanging my iPhone 5c for an iPhone 8+, I lost two apps. One, called "coins" was the product of a Swiss (?) museum. It just presented exquisite coins of all ages and parts of the world from the collection. The other, "coin flip" (?), did just that: you choose a coin, and when you "throw it up" with the phone, it goes through the sounds and movements of a coin being flipped. IIRC, both were discovered by Christian. Not life-saving apps, but good memory trainers and they amused me on long bus rides and in waiting rooms. Just wondering if something like it is still around.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Smart phone apps that can help you collect coins
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 08:35:28 AM »
Not an app, yet available on an iPhone and likely on other platforms: Duolingo. Good for learning other languages and scripts with a very limited, but daily time budget and free. They just added Arabic! This is your chance to amaze your friends. Be aware that only machine-struck coins have easily readable Arabic, but you have to start somewhere.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 01:17:23 PM »
The Swiss "Money Museum" has some educational content (for iTunes U) here ...
Our iTunes U offering | moneymuseum.com

Don't know whether these work, as I do not use an iOS device. The link to the "Tune Space" app on that page (which supposedly is for Android) is dead though, or at least unavailable here.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 04:53:32 PM »
Thank you. I think this museum is most likely to be the one that posted the app. I contacted them.

Peter