Author Topic: 1944 Quarter  (Read 131 times)

Offline gpimper

1944 Quarter
« on: June 28, 2019, 05:01:20 AM »
Found this dude when we were American Indian arrow head hunting (can't do that anymore...we call it "petty rock hunting" now).  I think this was up around Kingman Arizona near the old rail way.  Not in the best shape but still a great find.  And yes, we found arrow heads...pretty rocks, sorry ;-)  Still working on the pictures, sorry.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 05:32:45 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1944 Quarter
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 11:05:07 PM »
Worn enough to make it likely that it had been in circulation for many years before it was lost (unless you found it in a fast streaming water), but before silver was no longer used as a mint metal: silver coins disappeared from circulation relatively quickly.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 04:21:44 AM »
Just off of the old rail.  You can find just about anything out there.  Friend of mine a few years back found two old Colt pistols  8)  Fun stuff!  How railroad depots helped shape the Arizona Territory (I apologize if my links are inappropriate but this were I grew up :-)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 05:09:36 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 04:31:07 AM »
Washington quarters...my favorite series. I love them all from G-4 to MS.
One time, long ago far far away...I was using a White's 4DB in a yard and dug up a ...well memory fails me now but think it was a a 1934D in EF. It looked like it went in the ground the day before. I did sell it.

I should revisit that series. I have quite a few of the silvers but never finished.

Nice find! I would have been excited.

Dale

PS I have a White's matrix M6 now but would like the Garrett ATX.

Offline gpimper

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 04:45:18 AM »
I'm hoping to get back out there.  Great treasure hunting :-)  We have an ATX...best!!!  My go to is my old MXT, though.  Hard to go wrong.  We should move this conversation to the metal detctor side :-)  I'd like to have a conversation!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 05:25:17 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 02:39:16 AM »
It is amazing to just wonder out in the middle of nowhere and find things like that.  Love it!!!  Arrow head hunting has been a family passion for over a century :-) 
The Chief...aka Greg