Author Topic: Blanks that had to be melted down found in circulation  (Read 395 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Blanks that had to be melted down found in circulation
« on: June 27, 2019, 05:33:24 PM »
People across the UK have reported finding substandard and/or leftover blanks in their change that were sold by the Royal Mint as scrapmetal on the condition that they had to be melted down. As has been proven time and time again supervision of mints on whether such coins and blanks are actually being melted down fails miserably. Particularly The Royal Mint is notorious for this. During a visit at a scrap metal dealer in Eindhoven a few years ago I came across ten thousands of legal tender foreign coins and thousands of blanks of the Royal Mint. The dealer went on to sell them to collectors. Several other cases of this happening are known to me aswell. The people who obtained these 2 pounds blanks are putting them in vending machines.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:41:02 PM by eurocoin »

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Meritorious Member
Re: Blanks that had to be melted down found in circulation
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 06:01:59 PM »
That's a real problem, eurocoin. I don't know for a fact, but I don't think the US Mint sells blanks. At least I've never heard of it happening here, although I've seen a small number offered on auction sites over the years.

The Royal Mint and others really have to be more careful. Why not just melt them themselves or have a secure location that will do it for them. I suppose the "secure location" part of the equation is the real problem.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 06:37:01 PM »
See this thread for an illustration of waffling, a simple solution for the times when the demonetised coins inflow exceeds your re-melting capacity. Buy those machines before October ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 09:05:24 PM »
I did see one in circulation once.  A checkout person at a supermarket showed me it, in disbelief that someone had palmed it off in payment.  It was actually from a broken-up 1994 £2 trial coin set (which included a finished bi-metal 1994 trial £2 along with three stages of production).  Not heard of any yet in what eurocoin describes though.