Author Topic: Junagadh Mint under Islamic Dynasties.  (Read 414 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Junagadh Mint under Islamic Dynasties.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 01:44:10 PM »
The Coinage of the later Nawabs - Hamid Khan I, Bahadur Khan II, Hamid Khan II, Mohammad Mahabat Khan II and Bahadur Khan III. During his reign, Mahabat Khan I appointed a Diwan, Diwan Amarji to look after the administration of the state. It appears that this Diwan, convinced Mahabat Khan I or his successors to revert to the coins with the title Diwan as was done by the other states in the vicinity rather than issue coins in the rulers name. British authors, may be to discredit the powerful Diwan, attribute the Diwan on the coin to his (Amarji’s) title, blissfully unaware of the fact that this same title was used long before he became a Diwan.
The coins of all these rulers follow the same pattern and are distinguished only by the date on them. I have yet not come across any coin bearing a date which falls in the reign of Hamid Khan I but have no doubt that coins would surely have been minted at that time.

PS: I will post the coins of these rulers soon.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 12:17:40 PM »
The Coinage of Nawab Bahadur Khan II - 1811 – 1840 AD
As time went by, Nawab Bahadur Khan II, introduced a newer style of coins, following the same weight standards as current in the state but the coins had a different design. These coins, the Dokda and the Kori were dated coins and had the date mentioned in two eras – the Hijri dates and the current Vikram Samvat dates. The same series of coins continued through the reigns of various Nawabs.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 12:18:17 PM »
The Coinage of Nawab Mahabat Khan II - 1851 – 1882 AD
Little coinage of Junagadh seems to have been minted under Mahabat Khan III. Copper coins dated VS 1935 are known.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 12:19:18 PM »
The Coinage of Nawab Bahadur Khan III - 1882 – 1892 AD
A very scarce issue of dokdas struck in the name of Nawab Bahadur Khan III have been reported but in spite of looking around for them, I have not spotted any image of these coins.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 12:20:21 PM »
The Coinage of Nawab Muhammad Rasul Khan - 1892 – 1911 AD
Though minting of coins was officially discontinued by the British in all Native states around 1893 (around VS 1950), it appears that the Muslim rulers of the various states in Gujarat were not coerced in to stopping their mints. Besides Khambayat (Cambay) and Radhanpur, Junagadh too continued minting copper coins. Machine struck coinage seems to have been introduced in Junagadh around VS 1963. Machine struck copper Dokdas dated from 1963 to 1968 are encountered in large quantities. The large production of coins might have required a large number of dies and it appears that the die engravers were not very capable or were fairly carless. A large number of variations in the engraving of the dies is encountered in this time. This is a very long topic by itself and I will revisit this some time (hopefully) in the not too distant future. However, no silver coins minted during this reign are known.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 12:22:53 PM »
The NAZARANA GOLD KORIS of JUNAGADH

PS: As I do not collect Gold coins, the images of these Gold Koris is from the net and the copyright is of the owner.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:21:52 PM by asm »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 12:50:11 PM »
This is simply a superb thread, asm, with breath-taking pictures. It is already a reference. Today, it was read well over 250 times.

It has inspired me to make a proposal here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.