Author Topic: Shah Jahan. RUpee. Mint: Ahmedabad. AH 1068 / RY 31.  (Read 186 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Shah Jahan. RUpee. Mint: Ahmedabad. AH 1068 / RY 31.
« on: June 24, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »
Shahab-ud-din Muhammad Khurram, better known as Shah Jahan was the Fifth Mughal emperor, who reigned from 1628 to 1658. When Shah Jahan became critically ill in 1657, Dara Shukoh , who was then at Agra, assumed the role of regent in his father. This incurred the animosity of his brothers, who on learning of his assumption of the regency, declared their independence, and marched upon Agra in order to claim their riches.

Shah Jahan's rule for the period covered by the date combination 1068 / 31 runs from 29/09/1657 - 23/02/1658. Murad Baksh, Shah Jahan's son and the then local governor of Ahmedabad, on hearing of the news of his fathers critical illness and then getting no further news from Agra, believed that Shah Jahan was no more and hence crowned himself on 30/11/1657, lest, Dara, who was then in Agra claim the throne.

So this coin, dated AH 1068 / 31 could have been issued during the period 29/09/1657 to 29/11/1657, a period of 2 moths as Murad crowned himself at Ahmedabad on 30/11/1657.

Amit
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:31:14 AM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Re: Shah Jahan. RUpee. Mint: Ahmedabad. AH 1068 / RY 31.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 05:37:59 PM »
 Congratulations for this   elegant coin .In  my opinion it is hard to find SJ coin of this pattern for Ahmedabad mint although this type are commonly available for northern and central Mughal mint furthermore condition is pristine.
Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »
Thanks. As I mentioned, these coins were issued for a very brief period and all coins that i have encountered (ant they are not many), have the date 1068 / 31 which indicates just a 2 months time frame of minting, that too if they had started minting on the first day of the year combination. If not (and that is most likely), the minting time frame is less than 2 months................

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »
Amazing how they even managed to issue a coin in such a short period. I would imagine that few have survived as the brothers fought each other. A vivid illustration of the damage done by the Moghul succession tradition. Genghis Khan and his successors had the same system of inheriting: the father decided who would succeed him and the weakest son got the most money. That went well only until Kublai Khan, but only because Chagatai died before his father. It is incomprehensible for me why later rulers did not even try to formalise the system to avoid the fraternal wars.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.