Author Topic: UK text-free 50 pence designs  (Read 386 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
UK text-free 50 pence designs
« on: June 18, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »
I have already posted about UK text-heavy 50 pence designs. What do you think about the text-free designs? These show the artist's initials at most.

For me, the archetypal coin has some script on it - a legend. Otherwise, the coin looks too much like a medal - an art medal.

What do you think?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: UK text-free 50 pence designs
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 03:51:12 PM »
These gimmicks ;) are not circulation coins and do not really commemorate anything either. So yes, they could say Paddington for example ... but that is not necessary, I think.

Christian

Offline Deeman

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 04:39:45 PM »
Yet you have to be informed of the Gruffalo image.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 05:52:19 PM »
These gimmicks ;) are not circulation coins and do not really commemorate anything either. So yes, they could say Paddington for example ... but that is not necessary, I think.

That's a strange argument: apartheid between circulating and non-circulating coins.  :-X
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 06:38:20 PM »

Christian

The 2 paddington 50p coins were released into general circulation. Only the Snowman 50p wasn't. The coins commemorate respectively the 60th anniversary of Paddington Bear and the 40th anniversary of the Snowman.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:53:08 PM by eurocoin »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 09:16:29 PM »
Thanks for the anniversary infos. Obviously I did not know that - and it is not mentioned anywhere on the coins. ;)

Christian

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 01:35:00 PM »
I agree, they do look more like medals.  I’m in two minds on this.  On one, I’d like to see something on the coin so that it’s obvious that it is a commemorative and therefore marking something.

On the other, they’re largely insignificant anniversaries and the subjects themselves are far less important than others commemorated in the past.  It can be seen almost as covering their embarrassment by not including text.

The saving grace is that, even the ones that do make it into circulation will be fairly rare and quickly snapped up by modern collectors (though having said that, some of the Beatrix Potter range were issued in high numbers so are still quite commonly encountered).