Linked Events

• Ahmedabad Coins and Currency Fair: August 09, 2019 - August 11, 2019

Author Topic: Ahmedabad Coins and Currency Fair - August 2019  (Read 781 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Ahmedabad Coins and Currency Fair - August 2019
« on: June 15, 2019, 03:35:21 PM »
Details Below:

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Ahmedabad Coins and Currency Fair - August 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 11:06:55 AM »
Perhaps a good opportunity for some of our Indian members to meet? Just exchange mobile phone numbers and try to have a cup of tea together. You'll like the company.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 01:32:23 PM »
Any one coming? THere is, before the auction, a ONS meet where there will be a small presentation on various numismatic subjects.

I will be talking on "An overview of the Coinage of Bharuch - From the Nawabs to the East India Company". A point to be noted is that no catalogue as yet lists the coins of the Nawabs who ruled for less than 40 years in all. Most auction houses list all Bharuch coins in the name of Just the last nawab - Itimad ud-Daula.

Harun Shaikh, also from Ahmedabad will be talking on an interesting Mughal topic - the multiple coronations of Aurangzeb. A very interesting topic for Mughal coin lovers.

Zubair Motiwala from Baroda will talk on British India coins.

Prakash Jhinjuvadia will discuss some ancient coins.

So if any friend is attending the show, I would recommend him to spare some time for these talks.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 03:23:33 AM »
The fair is a fairly well attended one. A lot of collectors and dealer from all over the country are present. Since I could not spend a lot of time on Saturday (I did not go on Friday) I am unable to comment on the business aspects.

The ONS meet was a fair success. A number of ONS members from India as well as non members attended the meet. After a brief introduction of the ONS, its activities and on the meet by the Regional Sec. South Asia, Mr Mohit Kapoor, the presentations started. I was the first speaker - with the topic "An overview of the Coinage of Bharuch - From the Nawabs to the East India Company". Since this was a little known subject, the information provided was welcomed by all. In fact, the importance of this topic can be gauged by the fact that after the show, I was approached to write a paper on the subject.

The next topic was on the 'Coronation of of Aurangzeb'. This is an interesting topic since Aurangzeb had two coronations and had then decreed that the date of his coronation be considered from a third date. The talk dwelt on the various aspects and conditions that lead to the war of succession between the 4 claimants to the throne, the various battles between the brothers and their armies and culminated with a discussion on the first coinage of Aurangzeb and the last coinage of Shah Jahan. A very interesting topic.

Next in line, Zubair Motiwala spoke very briefly on the British India coinage - the various marks - Mint master or die engravers initials on the early coinage and the 1862 rupees and the 'dots'. Made a fairly easy to understand presentation. The number of dots moving from 1 to 10 and the reason why on certain coins more than 10 dots have been seen.

The last speaker was Prakash Jhinjuvadia, who spoke on the subject 'Earliest depiction of Gajlakshmi on the coins of Saurashtra'. He explained in details with images the various punch-marked coins of the Saurashtra area (Unfortunately, the subject being totally unknown to me, I could not make heads or tails of it).

Amit
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:21:09 AM by asm »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »
Thank you, asm, for the report. Happy with your success. May it inspire other WoC members. How will your paper be published?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 08:28:32 AM »
Thank you, asm, for the report. Happy with your success. May it inspire other WoC members. How will your paper be published?
Peter
Peter, thank you.
I attach here a couple of pictures of the inauguration. Will post pictures of the fair as soon as I have them.

I an working to upload the video of the presentation on the net. Will share a link as soon as it is done. I am also planning to publish a paper on this topic soon. I will share it here as soon as the work is done.

I hope this inspires many WoC members to come forward with research - even small points will be a big help as I find that available knowledge is just the tip of the iceberg. I was talking to Dr Dilip Rajgor, a noted name in Indian Numismatics - about a few odd coins that I have recently picked up. He mentioned that there is a lot of work yet to be done in Indian numismatics and it was good that people like me were working towards that. This sort of encouragement surely helps.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
A link to the YouTube video upload of a presentation made by me at the meeting of the Oriental Numismatic Society South Asia held at Ahmedabad on the 10th of August 2019.

An Overview of the Coinage of Bharuch From the Nawabs to the British East India Company.

The presentation is about the coins of this state under the Nawabs, the British and the Sindhias.

Amit

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 01:50:20 PM »
Enjoyed that, Amit. You brought clearly that having the mint, Moghul's name and date is not enough to assign a coin to a ruler. You need to study the history of the rulers, the state and the mint and combine taht with whatever information is visible on the coin. Hard work, but the results are fascinating.

Peter

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 03:27:47 AM »
Enjoyed that, Amit. You brought clearly that having the mint, Moghul's name and date is not enough to assign a coin to a ruler. You need to study the history of the rulers, the state and the mint and combine taht with whatever information is visible on the coin. Hard work, but the results are fascinating.
Peter
Most IPS coins till 1857 have the name of the reigning Mughal Emperor on them. In a few instances, we see the local rulers name as an initial of the ruler on the reverse of the coin. Most do not have that. But most have a distinct mark on the coin to attribute it to the state. I am coming around to a theory (needs a lot more thought though) that there was a method in the madness. All this depended on the size and the independence of a state. Baroda, Gwalior etc had the rulers initials and certain mint marks. Smaller states may not have had that luxury. All they had was the possibility of stamping the coins with the Mughal rulers name on the Obverse and a mark on the reverse. The state that were in between these used the luxury of changing the symbols with the ruler................
If the history of the state is documented well enough, it is always possible to attribute the coin based on dates to a local ruler.........but alas, (in my opinion) to prevent depreciation of the value of a coin over time, the coins did not show most of the dates. This is where numismatists loose out.........they are unable to attribute a coin fully.
A proper study and documentation may be able to pitch forth such a theory.......... I had been following this hunch for a few years and when I had a fair number of examples, I did manage to work out a theory. Still incomplete, it will need hundreds of more images - a fair number with dates on them, to make a detailed catalogue.
I am attempting a preliminary attempt at such a catalogue in a couple of months. In fact, I have already sent the paper for publication in a Souvenir od a coin fair in the coming months. Hopefully, till it sees the light of day, I will be able to bring a more updated one for WoC.

Amit 

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »
Please feel encouraged, Amit! You have a fantastic network with leading scientist and collectors. The work you showed on the coins of Bharuch makes it quite clear that you are on to something important.

May every collector of IPS coins who reads this be inspired to contact asm with an offer for help. Remember that all he needs is a sharp picture of your IPS coins. So show your support for research at no cost by working with him!

Peter

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 06:59:36 AM »
Please feel encouraged, Amit! You have a fantastic network with leading scientist and collectors. The work you showed on the coins of Bharuch makes it quite clear that you are on to something important.
Peter
Thanks, Peter. I owe my skills and network to a very large extent to WoC and the Knowledge and encouragement I have received here over the years. I was a hoarder of coins when I stepped in here about 2007 or so. Interaction with members here yielded exceptional knowledge but more than just knowledge, it was the guidance of a large number of members here that has taken me to where I am today. 
I sincerely hope that I can make a small contribution to numismatics in General and Indian (especially Gujarat area) Numismatics in particular.

May every collector of IPS coins who reads this be inspired to contact asm with an offer for help. Remember that all he needs is a sharp picture of your IPS coins. So show your support for research at no cost by working with him!
Peter
I will be honoured to get whatever images, even if they seem worthless to you, of any mints in the Gujarat area in particular. This will at some point of time we a valuable in put to some of the many areas of research that I am working on.

Amit