Author Topic: A phone that is smart  (Read 245 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
A phone that is smart
« on: June 14, 2019, 05:09:42 PM »
 :laughing: It does indeed. Try one. You'll like it.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline jkk

Re: A phone that is smart
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »
:laughing: It does indeed. Try one. You'll like it.

Peter

I think not. Every time I've tried to use someone's, I've found the display unmanageable and the keying worse. When they come up with a telephone that includes a full-size keyboard and about a 17" screen, yet violates the laws of space and time by fitting into my pocket, they and I can do business. Until then, I'm more or less satisfied with my flip phone.
Jonathan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 11:41:43 AM »
Don't know about the size of your pockets, but it sounds like you should visit an Apple shop and try an iPhone 8+. Among its advantages are a big screen, consequently big buttons (big enough for my notoriously fat fingers, anyway) and not the latest technology. ;) Add the language app, Waze, Currency (by OANDA), QR Reader and some more stuff that suits your interests, check health data generated automatically, add reminders to the calendar on when to eat your bleeping medicine, add some phone numbers and addresses (perhaps just by letting it sniff at your 'puter) and soon, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Its best feature is that the phone remembers all those bleeping access codes, pin codes etc. and gives you smooth access with your fingerprint. Works like a charm and my granddaughters still haven't found a way around it.

The unattractive alternative is a tablet. Try those too, especially for weight and pocket size and you'll see you really prefer a smart phone. IMO, tablets are for kiddos and people who still have a desktop anchored 'puter only.

So how about the option of "none of the above?" The two major problems are 1) a smart phone has so many uses, it saves considerable weight and money spent on dedicated gadgets (like a GPS) and 2) the apps are pilfering information from each other, so their total is more than the sum of them. Tiny example: I have about 700 people in my address book (not a problem, I can search on anything, even their phone number.) I inserted a picture of their face for most of them. Now, if I receive an email, it is adorned with a picture, jogging my memory. Conversely, if I send someone an email, I just start typing whatever I remember of their name in the address field and chances are that the address book will come up with their email address.

Warning: it won't make coffee. :D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 12:12:10 PM »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 02:14:38 PM »
Heh, I do not have an iPhone but a smartphone. ;D  Do not need the coffee making options, but I love many of the apps and features. Instead of Google's Waze I use Here We Go - in fact, for many purposes I do not use Google's pre-installed apps (which you cannot even delete) but other dedicated tools.

I am similarly proto-paranoid :) when it comes to bringing all my health data together. That is why I use one app to sync my "fitness" band, another one to measure my runs, a different one for the scales, and so on. While I love the convenience, I do not like the idea of all those data being collected by one single company.

Similar feelings here when it comes to tablets. If I know that I need to work while traveling, I take my MacBook with me. The tablet (Android again, though not a recent model) is rarely used, maybe on board a train or aircraft. If/when it "dies", I may not even replace it ...

Christian

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 04:45:52 PM »
If the darn thing can come up with a doughnut I'm in. Jelly, please!  ;D

Bruce
Bruce

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 05:05:36 PM »
I can't resist easy challenges. Making a doughnut with a smart phone is easy, though you may not find it filling. Approved by dentists and doctors. Jelly will cost money. Warning: for people with tiny hands only >:D

Peter

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 05:26:08 PM »
Only since a few years I have a smartphone after having lived without one the previous 18 years, which is quite rare these days. Besides the general apps like mail etc, I have an extensive app for public transport which I find very handy as I travel some 500kms by it every week. Furthermore I have bought an app that is very useful for numismatic purposes to always stay up to date. I also occasionaly like to read ebooks etc. I think recent Iphones are highly overrated as are a lot of things Apple releases these days.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:35:53 PM by eurocoin »

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 05:59:14 PM »
I agree with eurocoin regarding the public transport apps. I have a year's season ticket for the city zone because I go to work by bus/tram/boat every day, but for journeys into other zones I always use the app.

Mind you, I have no objection to systems like London's, where you just show your debit card to the reader at the barrier. I don't know if there is an app for the Tube these days, because for my purposes the contactless card works well.

The other godsend is maps. Not just Google, in fact mainly not Google. Google is good for telling you where you are and, if you are driving, how to get where you want to go, but is of much less value if you are travelling on foot or by bike, or if you simply want to explore where you are without having a specific destination in mind.

Google mapping in general is extremely spartan. You can download many other apps with topographical maps that will give you a sense of the terrain in the area, as well as footpaths. They do eat your battery though.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 07:42:02 PM »
I can't resist easy challenges. Making a doughnut with a smart phone is easy, though you may not find it filling. Approved by dentists and doctors. Jelly will cost money. Warning: for people with tiny hands only >:D

Peter

Well, now I'm tempted. The two remaining problems are the small size and my aversion to owning anything...alive or dead...that's smarter than I am. I don't own much.

The size thing is also a real problem for someone like me who has hot dog sized fingers. Great for hitchhiking and flipping someone off, but not for operating small machinery. Thank you, but I'll keep my dumb phone and a handy bag of donuts to soothe my injured pride.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 08:15:19 PM »
Ok, here it is. Anybody know what the round thingy at the top is? ;D

Bruce
Bruce

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 09:41:24 PM »
The thingy on top looks like it used to be a camera lens. It's a bit of a miracle if that contraption still does something. The battery shouldn't be visible from the outside, so it may be leaking. Batteries leak burning acid. When it reaches the outside of the metal, you'll feel a pretty bad ouchy if you are still carrying that little chemical bomb. My grandmother used to say: never mind your skin. It'll grow back, but I have to mend your clothes.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 10:15:52 PM »
As for public transport apps, those are a pet peeve of mine. In Germany we do not have a nationwide OV chipkaart as in NL, not even state wide systems, just regional ones. The two ticket apps I use, HandyTicket and DB Navigator, cover most of the regions I want. On top of that I use an app called Öffi (Android, free) which tells me about the stops near me, about the buses/trams/etc. there, and their schedule (realtime if possible). Works for seventy-something regions in 17 countries.

When I need to buy a parking ticket, I can (in this city and many others) use an app called PayByPhone. If I want to rent a bicycle, I have two bikesharing apps (for two partly competing systems). And of course there is e-mail, direct messaging (I use Threema, selected contacts only), news apps ...

And yet, if I want to make a supposedly simple change in the preferences, that can be a challenge. What a dumb phone. ;)

Christian

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 12:52:07 AM »
Well, it doesn't do much and it doesn't leak...no ouchys here. I thought the round thingy might be a camera lens too, but I couldn't find a place for the flash powder. ???

Bruce
Bruce

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 08:22:22 AM »
Parking apps are a pain in the rear because there are so many of them. One nationwide one would be nice, or at the very least the possibility to be sure that all the car parks in the same city use the same app.