Author Topic: Standing Caliph fals  (Read 142 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Standing Caliph fals
« on: June 09, 2019, 01:01:29 PM »
The Standing Caliph fals is arguably the first original islamic numismatic type, all earlier coins being plain copies of the either Byzantine or Sasanian money that was circulating in the conquered countries. According to a detailed article I found on the internet, from the Numismatic Chronicle (2010): 'The Standing Caliph Coins of al-Jazīra: some problems and suggestions' by Ingrid and Wolfgang Schulze, these coins probably date from AH 74-77 (AD 693-697). The type was designed as a monetary reform by caliph Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan, only to be followed by a second and more thorough reform by the same ruler: the introduction of the all-text coinage.

What attracted me in this particular coin is the detailed design of the caliph's embroidered robe, that at the left side shows just oblique stripes, but right a dotted zigzag motif.

AE fals Umayyads, Arab-Byzantine Standing Caliph Type. Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan 685-705. Halab (Aleppo) mint, prob. 693-697. 21 mm, 2.46 gr. Album 3529 (p. 37). Cf.  Zeno #171166.

-- Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Standing Caliph fals
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 11:41:30 AM »
Outstanding specimen !
It looks a bit different than how i now these types. Yours seems to have quite a shiny surface patina. The ones i know usually have the sandy surfaces.
Agree that the details in the dress make it extra appealing. On the other hand, i think this may at the time have been interpreted as a sign of personal vanity by the religious reformers of the time ?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 12:40:48 PM »
Highly interesting, showing development in thinking. While not contesting the islamic nature, I do still see Byzantine influences on this design.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 01:21:53 PM »
Yes, my coin has a gleaming aspect. It might have been cleaned and repatinated some time. Still - there it is.
I made another picture today.

By the way, in 2018 a book was published by Spink, written by Tony Goodwin: The Standing Caliph Coinage. Can anybody say something about it?

-- Paul