Turks dynasty of Dehli, G&G D0020, Ghiyath al-Din Muhmud bin Muhammad, Jital

Started by sarwar khan, June 08, 2019, 06:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarwar khan

Mu'izz ad-Din was one of the greatest rulers of the Ghurid dynasty and is credited with laying the foundation of Muslim rule in the Indian subcontinent, which lasted for several centuries. He reigned over a territory spanning over parts of modern-day Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, north India, Pakistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan.

Mu'izz ad-Din took the city of Ghazni in 1173 to avenge the death of his ancestor Muhammad ibn Suri  at the hands of Mahmud of Ghazni and used it as a launching-pad for expansion into northern India.In the meantime, he assisted his brother Ghiyath in his contest with the Khwarazmian Empire for the lordship of Khorasan in Western Asia. In 1175, Mu'izz captured Multan from the Hamid Ludi dynasty, which were Muslim Pashtun, and also took Uch in 1175. He also annexed the Ghaznavid principality of Lahore in 1186, the last haven of his Persianised rivals. After the death of Ghiyath in 1202, he became the successor of the Ghurid Empire and ruled until his assassination in 1206.

A confused struggle then ensued among the remaining Ghuri leaders, and the Khwarizmi were able to take over the Ghurid Sultanate in about 1215. Though the Ghurids' empire was short-lived, and petty Ghurid states remained in power until the arrival of the Timurids, Mu'izz's conquests laid the foundations of Muslim rule in India. Qutbu l-Din Aibak, a former slave (Mamluk) of Mu'izz, was the first Sultan of Delhi.

Details about the coin :-
Ruler - Muizz al din muhammad ghori معز الدین محمد غوری‎ (1202–1206 as sole ruler)
Weight - 3.37 gram
Mint - Lahore
Obv - Bull & Horseman type above shri hamira.
Rev - Al sultan al azam Mahmud bin muhammad bin sam
Rarity - Scarce
Denomination - Jital
Metal: Billon

Regards
Muhammad Sarwar khan
Jabalpur
Madhya pradesh

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

THCoins

Hi Muhammad Sarwar Khan. As you say, this was  a confused time. And it seems that some confusion also crept in your description.
As you correctly state this coin is in the name of Giyath al-Din Mahmud bin Muhammad. But that is not the same as the ruler Mu'izz al din Muhammad.

After Ghorid ruler Mu'izz-ud-Din Muhammad bin Sam was murdered in 1206AD, the empire was divided. The east passed to various generals who had conducted Mu'iz–ud-Din Muhammad's campaigns. The Ghazna region was ruled by slave general Taj Al-Din Yildiz. Sind was administered by Nasir Al-Din Qubacha, while Dehli went to Qutb Al-Din Aybak.
Mahmud, son of Ghiyath-ud-Din Muhammad bin Sam, succeeded in Ghor. Mahmud was deposed in 1212 by the Khwarezmshah, 'Ala Al-Din Muhammad.
Mahmud probably never set foot in Lahore, but coins in the Lahore style were minted in his name in the period 1206-1212AD.

The specimen below is the Mu'izz al-din Muhammad type with "Muhammad bin Sam" in the lowest line of the text side instead of the "Mahmud bin Muhammad bin Sam" as on your coin.

Anthony

sarwar khan

Thanks THCoins sir to point my fault

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Saikat

Here's mine with an overlay.
Thanks,
Saikat

sarwar khan

THCoins

The little faults are not important. I compliment you both for looking into the background of the coins !
The transcription is very helpfull Saikat, but i think you glued the last dal character of "Mahmud" to the beginning of bin ?

Saikat