Author Topic: Romanian Lei  (Read 116 times)

Offline gpimper

Romanian Lei
« on: June 07, 2019, 04:40:31 AM »
Not sure this is the right place to post this coin but it is one of my favorites.  I had one in my flight jacket pocket for almost 20 years...just for luck :-)  Amazing trip to Romania, '94 I think.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Romanian Lei
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 08:09:46 AM »
I was in Romania before you (not difficult, I am ancient :)), when the bullet holes were still in the walls and members of the Securitate were making a come-back as convinced democrats. I saw Ceaucescu's palace when it was still empty, windy and a monument to a mercurial dictatorship at least as impressive as Imelda's shoe collection. Interesting times.

Mihai Viteazul (pictures resembling the image on the coin on this page) is a symbol of those times of hope. Romania would be united, independent and prosperous, a member of NATO and the EU, a liberal democracy. Some of that actually happened. The rest may happen some day, when corruption finally becomes unacceptable and minorities are integrated.

Good to see you mastered posting pictures on WoC. Below Mihai's left shoulder is V.G., the initials of the designer, Vasile Gabor, engraver at the Romanian state mint. The reverse has sprigs of laurel (victory) and oak (strength). At 4 o'clock are the initials C.D. for Constantin Dumitrescu. More information here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:46:09 PM »
They still had bullet holes in Bucharest (reminded me of 1990 in Panama) but Constanta was very nice.  1994 was a pretty dicey time there.  Very much enjoyed our bus tour through the Carpathian mountains, though (very much reminded me of the White Mountains in eastern Arizona were I grew up).  Dracula's Castle was cool.  Good memories.  I've a picture that I'm looking for of me in a Mig-15...I'll post if I can find it :-)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:05:14 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 12:09:58 AM »
Constantin Dumitrescu...boxing champion, right?  I could be wrong :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 09:57:09 AM »
Sorry, Greg, it's a common name and and this one is too young.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 01:40:47 AM »
 ;D  Just playing.  It's a fun coin that I've appreciated for many years.  Great memories.
The Chief...aka Greg