Author Topic: Dehli sultanate, Iltutmish, Tanka, D36  (Read 75 times)

Offline Saikat

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
Dehli sultanate, Iltutmish, Tanka, D36
« on: May 25, 2019, 04:19:12 PM »
Hi,
I picked up a heavily damaged coin of Iltutmish. There is a clipped out part and possible attempt to cut down the coin in to halves. Nevertheless, tanka of Iltutmish is rare and highly collectable. Apart from the damage, the coin looks uncirculated to me.
Weight : 10.88 gm
Diameter : 29.8 mm
Obv: Al Sultan Al Azam Shams al Dunya wa'l din abul Muzaffar Iltutmish al sultan
Rev:fi 'ahd al imam mustansir amir al mu'minin,
min kharaj qanauj wa kafar in margin on both side.
This type of coin was struck in the year AH 632.
Thanks,
Saikat

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Dehli sultanate, Iltutmish, Tanka, D36
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »
Interesting coin, not only by its scarcity. I think you may be right that someone tried to divide this in two halves.
There it not much wear on the coin, but the calligraphy and strike quality is not really superb i'd say. That may have been an indication that the affairs of the state were not that good any more at the end of Iltutmish's reign ?
On your specimen is the first time i noticed that the name of the caliph is written in a somewhat abbreviated way on this type. Most historians seem to agree that Iltutmish position was recently much strengthened by his recognition by the caliph. Then why did the mint not write the caliphs name with some more care ?

(Just some things i wondered about while looking at your specimen. I dont expect you to provide al the answers to these  :) Thanks for showing !)

Anthony

Offline Saikat

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 06:24:35 PM »
Anthony,
Thanks! I forgot to mention that there are multiple varieties of this coin. For example this one have three dots on reverse mergin but mine have a single dot. Zeno lists three of this coin and they have two dots. Why a single mint, in a single year have so many varieties of same coin (G&G lists 6 such variation)?
Thanks,
Saikat

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 06:38:38 PM »
Why a single mint, in a single year have so many varieties of same coin

That's another good question which i really can not answer.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 06:56:29 PM »
Iltutmish lived in interesting times. He expanded his lands, but he was also threatened by mongols and the troops of the fugitive Khwarezmshahs. Warfare means you need much money. Plunder, loot and luxury items from your own citizens used to pay taxes must be converted to coins quickly to pay hired troops, feed the army, get arms and munition and build, man and sustain military installations.

Large turnover means that many dies must be used. Dies were still unhardened. There are several attempts to estimate the number of coins that can be struck with an unhardened die but there is not yet enough information and lower and upper dies have a different life expectancy. Yet, I am slowly getting the feel that as a very, very rough estimate, your average die would make not more than 500 to 1000 strikes. Die making must have been a constant process.

Now add haste and die engravers will be a bit less precise than otherwise, easily adding or deleting a small element. At the same time, you can expect minting to be a bit sloppier, with failed coins being accepted more easily.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 07:35:21 PM »
Yes, likely this are some of the factors of influence i think.