Author Topic: Inconsistent approaches to obverse legends etc on current UK coinage  (Read 178 times)

Offline hertfordian

Hi all -

I thought I'd start a new topic on something that particularly irks me (but that's probably because I think I'm a little bit autistic but also just a pedant at heart).  This subject is the legends on the obverses of the current UK coinage issues.  I appreciate that the Royal Mint is churning out ever more (dubious) content these days and that may mean that some of the checks that would have taken place previously are not happening now but our coinage seems to be an inconsistent mess.  My examples are as follows:

• The new pound coin - why on earth did the date need to go BEFORE the Queen's name and titles - if this was simply to make the coin look different so therefore less easy to forge or make copies of using other denominations, why not put the date at the bottom of the obverse in two parts, split by the latent image?
  • The Victoria 200 5 coin - the Mint seems to have taken on board the issues that they encountered with some of the Battle of Britain 50p coins not having any denomination on them - and this one seems to have the denomination TWICE - one on the obverse, one on the reverse.  Would it really have been difficult for the Mint to use the correct obverse layout which didn't include the denomination - after all, it's not like they don't have this sitting around as it's been used for some of their other fivers in recent years.
  • The dreaded A-Z 10p coins - why do they need to show the denomination on the obverse as "TEN PENCE" when EVERY (I think?!) other denomination where the value has appeared on the obverse now has it shown numerically (apart from that first Clark commemorative 2 coin which did not back in 2015).
  • The 25 gold/platinum versions of the silver 5 coins - why do these need to show the date BEFORE the denomination unlike every other coin where there is the denomination and the date on the obverse where the date will always appear last (notwithstanding my comments re: the 1 coin)

I am sure there must be other examples as well of this inconsistency but I can't think of any at the moment - does anyone else have anything like this which to me at any rate, is like the visual equivalent of scratching one's finger nails down a blackboard!  (And don't even get me started on the butchering of the Ironside 1p reverse design with the latest silver penny offering!).

Ian
Ian
UK

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
First off, see:

UK Decimals: Overview of Circulation Coinage to Date

- and scroll down to LEGEND VARIATIONS.

Secondly, some collectors enjoy variations. We even have a Danish member here who notices the tiniest differences in fonts. It is useful to map these variations, though. Alan71 used to do that, but now I think he's fixated on plastic penguins instead.  >:D