Author Topic: Imitative of Zangids of Syria  (Read 209 times)

Offline gpimper

Imitative of Zangids of Syria
« on: May 22, 2019, 12:07:04 AM »
Found what I believe to be a Crusader replica.  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=77974q00.jpg&vpar=1287&zpg=88499&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/  I tried to remove this from the "unidentified" board but was unable.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

Re: Imitative of Zangids of Syria
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 03:47:39 AM »
Have another similar but she's not so pretty :-)  AE 25mm, 6.7gm.  Seems this one was a pendent more than once...wicked history!
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:46:26 AM »
Very intrigueing coins indeed !
This design originally started with the Byzantines, then there were later Arab-Byzantine copies. The Zangids again later made a type based on the Byzantine originals which were copied again by the crusaders. Now what about that ?
It is difficult to say where your coins should be placed in this order. One thing i notice is that the weight of you last one is much higher than the one shown as a crusader copy on forum. This last one comes closer to the weight that would be expected from the Zangid type. But again, difficult to say for sure where to put these specimen in time.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 12:48:26 PM »
Intriguing indeed. Probably it's just my eyesight, but the upper picture looks like an animal's head to me, with the hole as an eye. :)

That hole is intriguing by itself. The coin was nailed with the lower picture in front. I see a standing person there between two attributes and possibly wearing a halo. However, if you hang the coin by the hole, the image will be on its side, facing down. It was not a pendant or an amulet and turning the coin around to show the other face doesn't explain the odd place of the hole.

I am reminded of a conversation I had a few years back with a professor who led an archeological excavation of a necropolis in Rome. The group had found a similarly odd-holed coin and thought it was a pendant. My hypothesis was that instead, it was nailed to the wall of a grave to discourage grave robbers. Imagine going through a dark tunnel where you know there are dead bodies galore with a small oil lamp, listening for the faintest sound, alert to pick up any movement, suddenly finding a shiny Christ or Roman emperor looking at you.

Being nailed to an uneven background, or into a dug-out area, the coin would need only one nail and a bit of mortar. In time, the mortar would crumble, the nail would have rusted through and the coin would fall. I challenged the professor to search the nearby walls for a shallow dug-out area with a nail hole matching that on the coin. I did not hear back from him.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 12:16:54 AM »
The first coin pictured I'd already sent to my sister in Arizona (she wanted a Crusader coin being a history geek  8) so I'm probably way off on the weight.  Thinking about it probably closer to 7gm.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 12:22:22 AM »
Peter, I did notice the odd orientation of the hole.  Amazing nail theory...I don't think I would have thought of that!  Researching and thank you!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:28:53 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg