Author Topic: In praise of World of Coins  (Read 320 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
In praise of World of Coins
« on: May 19, 2019, 09:27:21 PM »
In the last 12 years, on two occasions, I have considered the possibility of leaving WoC. The first was when my collection was stolen. The second more recent. WoC worked its magic. A small bunch of members pulled together and pulled me out of my self-made morass with kind words and gifts of coins. They were carefully selected gifts, aimed at giving maximum pleasure. I am still paying off their kindness. It has developed into a circle, where we pay attention to others' private problems and apply coins as medicine.

I got home today from another business trip, so full of activity I could not even visit a single friend, let alone my favourite Dutch shops for things you just can't buy in France. On my return, pretty exhausted and trying to formulate a reaction in my head on the "future of the controversial subjects board" thread while preparing for two days of meetings at the OECD, starting tomorrow, I found a package in my letterbox with a fantastic batch of tokens from a friend I have never met. As if he knew how down I would be today. These are things that keep me going. I'll have to think of something I hope he will appreciate.

Sometimes, I hear from members with personal problems, or just youngsters who could use a bit of support with their collection. I try to apply the same medicine. I know a gentleman in India who often says he profited from WoC and helps a member in Bangladesh to get numismatic books. I know of plenty of cases where members help other members circumvent shipping restrictions of eBay sellers. There is bound to be more going on and it's all because we meet on WoC.

I hear from my friends when I am down and they hear from me when I know they are having problems and there is something I can do to cheer them up. I can recommend that system.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
Re: In praise of World of Coins
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:41:28 PM »
Sound advice, Peter, and something I'll remember.

Though a short-term member, I like what I see very much. Though I have "odd" tastes in what I collect, I plan on promoting them as much as I can. I think there's a lot of historical value in studying counterstamps as I've done for so many years. If others can learn a few interesting things from my and others posts it's all good. I know I've been educated on numismatic topics I'd never considered before. And that's all good too.

To that end, I've been in contact with several of my dear friends who are accomplished in my areas of numismatic interest. At least two will join WoC shortly. Both are "rock stars" who bring years of expertise with them. Their knowledge and dedication are top level.

I want to give you a great big thanks for all you've done for us. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. This site is hands down the best I've seen.

Kindest regards,

Bruce
Bruce

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:24:01 AM »
Thank you for your kind words, Bruce. Your collectieve area is indeed somewhat neglected as well as an important piece of the puzzle. It has characteristics of both coin and token collecting. Glad to have you widening our knowledge. Your friends are of course very welcome. We need experts and the beginners to keep them amused.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:47:53 AM »
Apparently I have spent close to 250 days on the forum, so I have had massive fun here and learned lots from the other members along the way. I hadn't been aware of this second 'bump' of yours, so I hope you are over it.

At times like this I think of Rudyard Kipling's poem "If", and specifically these words:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

They always give me heart and put things in perspective.  :)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 08:26:59 PM »
Words of wisdom, <k>. Good to have found another Kipling fan. A social critic who managed to package both his criticism and his ultimate pain of the loss of his son in moving stories. I wish I had half of his agility with words.

Peter