Author Topic: In praise of World of Coins  (Read 1221 times)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
In praise of World of Coins
« on: May 19, 2019, 09:27:21 PM »
In the last 12 years, on two occasions, I have considered the possibility of leaving WoC. The first was when my collection was stolen. The second more recent. WoC worked its magic. A small bunch of members pulled together and pulled me out of my self-made morass with kind words and gifts of coins. They were carefully selected gifts, aimed at giving maximum pleasure. I am still paying off their kindness. It has developed into a circle, where we pay attention to others' private problems and apply coins as medicine.

I got home today from another business trip, so full of activity I could not even visit a single friend, let alone my favourite Dutch shops for things you just can't buy in France. On my return, pretty exhausted and trying to formulate a reaction in my head on the "future of the controversial subjects board" thread while preparing for two days of meetings at the OECD, starting tomorrow, I found a package in my letterbox with a fantastic batch of tokens from a friend I have never met. As if he knew how down I would be today. These are things that keep me going. I'll have to think of something I hope he will appreciate.

Sometimes, I hear from members with personal problems, or just youngsters who could use a bit of support with their collection. I try to apply the same medicine. I know a gentleman in India who often says he profited from WoC and helps a member in Bangladesh to get numismatic books. I know of plenty of cases where members help other members circumvent shipping restrictions of eBay sellers. There is bound to be more going on and it's all because we meet on WoC.

I hear from my friends when I am down and they hear from me when I know they are having problems and there is something I can do to cheer them up. I can recommend that system.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: In praise of World of Coins
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:41:28 PM »
Sound advice, Peter, and something I'll remember.

Though a short-term member, I like what I see very much. Though I have "odd" tastes in what I collect, I plan on promoting them as much as I can. I think there's a lot of historical value in studying counterstamps as I've done for so many years. If others can learn a few interesting things from my and others posts it's all good. I know I've been educated on numismatic topics I'd never considered before. And that's all good too.

To that end, I've been in contact with several of my dear friends who are accomplished in my areas of numismatic interest. At least two will join WoC shortly. Both are "rock stars" who bring years of expertise with them. Their knowledge and dedication are top level.

I want to give you a great big thanks for all you've done for us. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. This site is hands down the best I've seen.

Kindest regards,

Bruce
Always Faithful

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:24:01 AM »
Thank you for your kind words, Bruce. Your collectieve area is indeed somewhat neglected as well as an important piece of the puzzle. It has characteristics of both coin and token collecting. Glad to have you widening our knowledge. Your friends are of course very welcome. We need experts and the beginners to keep them amused.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:47:53 AM »
Apparently I have spent close to 250 days on the forum, so I have had massive fun here and learned lots from the other members along the way. I hadn't been aware of this second 'bump' of yours, so I hope you are over it.

At times like this I think of Rudyard Kipling's poem "If", and specifically these words:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

They always give me heart and put things in perspective.  :)
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 08:26:59 PM »
Words of wisdom, <k>. Good to have found another Kipling fan. A social critic who managed to package both his criticism and his ultimate pain of the loss of his son in moving stories. I wish I had half of his agility with words.

Peter

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 05:16:07 PM »
Peter, the Forum would be greatly diminished.  It has been almost 13 years and would be a loss. I  don't  post as much as I  did originally, however I do read many of the new posts. Makin ingredients pens tends to keep me out of mischief, also occasional coin cleaning.

Bruce (one of the other one)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 10:21:35 PM »
It happened again today. I was going to get called in preparation of a June event. I wanted to attend a virtual event on the effects of COVID-19 on finance. There would be a trial of a virtual numismatic event. I got a reminder on being a judge for prizes on real estate financing. There were something like 20 unidentified Indian coins on WoC. It felt like the next wave would go over my head. I sent a message to a group of India experts asking them to have a look at the unidentified Indian coins. They reacted like real friends. In no time at all, the Indian coins were identified. Several experts didn't even have a chance to contribute. Now that the day is over, not all problems are solved, but the water has receded from my lips and WoC did that.

:rock:

Peter

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 05:15:39 AM »
Wonderful, but just because of the fact that the tide line has lowered, there still be alligators out there [as they say in the South].  >:D

Bruce

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 11:43:24 AM »
No alligators in New Jersey, so if I keep my head above water I should be okay. Maybe I better look over my shoulder though and see if anything's sneaking up on me. ;D

My "stay" on WoC has been therapeutic and  educational , Peter. I think World of Cure is an alternate meaning for me. Like getting absorbed in a good book or movie, this site immerses me in the World of Coins and sends my thoughts to a better place. Not only that, but it's fun.

Many thanks to you for all of this.

Cheers,
Bruce
Always Faithful

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 12:08:36 PM »
No alligators in New Jersey, so if I keep my head above water I should be okay.

They are supposed to be below the coins in the pavement, but capitols of all kinds seem to be a good place to look also ;)

Peter

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 04:15:53 PM »
They are supposed to be below the coins in the pavement, but capitols of all kinds seem to be a good place to look also ;)

Peter
Well, now I'm worried. (thanks, Peter! :)) I rarely venture into sewers, but from now on I have to be mindful of where my legs are. Just because my head is above water doesn't mean I'm safe.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 06:25:25 PM »
I rarely venture into sewers, ...

Me neither, but unfortunately today the sewer ventured into the world above ground. Due to a derangement in the pipe, we had what best can be described as a fecal geyser erupt on our lawn. The good thing was that the height difference between the house and the vent through which it erupted meant that it erupted there rather than, say, shooting out of the toilet bowl or someplace else in the house. That would have been undesirable.

Now all fixed, thanks to the good (but expensive) people of Cleanpipe.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 06:58:42 PM »
 :D :D :D I don't quite understand how we got here, but I suppose you are bleeping frustrated. I'd have been too, in spite of the thought of free manure for the garden. :) That money you paid was well spent, in view of the alternatives. Now that it's all fixed, why not have a double whatever you like to drink and a good night sleep? You deserve it.

Peter

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 08:52:44 AM »
Different in style, same conclusions. COVID-19 brought big change. At first, the events I used to attend were all cancelled. My daily walks became exercises in stats of how many people I saw on the streets coupled with sneaky ways to have enough exercise but stay as close as possible to the law at the same time. I did a lot of calculating on the road to pull it off. When confinement ended, not much changed. I didn't know anyone going back into Paris again. Some of my events came back online. It wasn't the same.

It wasn't until reading an article on lockdown in a US magazine that I realised I'd had a loneliness problem. By that time, WoC had already kicked in to solve it. Several members of my family were working at a distance, but participating in the "International Token Web Conference" opened my eyes to the idea to bring back old-fashioned coin club meetings online. It is about to happen now and my expectations are so high, I can only be disappointed. ;) I can always fall back on the membership here, though.

Peter

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 11:45:45 AM »
Just yesterday i got together with a couple of good friends that I'd met years ago when I joined a local coin club. We had breakfast...outdoors of course...and talked coins for an hour or two. Very therapeutic for me to get lost in this wonderful hobby of ours, especially with friends.

In many ways WoC allows me to do the same thing. Meeting with friends and discussing things that we're all passionate about...and not only numismatics. By having access to so many different cultures through WoC's membership I've learned to appreciate their perspectives and the way they approach not only our hobby but life in general. The range of interests, curiosity, and talent here is astounding. I'm so glad we met and I thank you all for it

Bruce
Always Faithful