Austrian restaurant token

Started by Figleaf, July 05, 2007, 10:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Special for dalehall.

This brass token (6.5 grams, 26.0 mm) was used at the home base of Austrian Airlines (ICAO code AUA). The other side is blank, except that it has the same toothed border. My guess is that is was used for coffee machines. I really don't understand why a company would want to limit the coffee supply of its employees  >:D but corporate coffee machines are sometimes coin operated.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

I have probably as many as 1000 austrian tokens...wonder why I never encountered this one.  If you get an extra put it aside...we can trade for somthing in the future I am sure  :D

26mm is a bit odd for the sizes i've encountered but not totally odd.  Most seem to be 21.5mm or 23mm
but I have other sizes, smallest is like 17mm.  ISize is a small clue to the manufacturer so I track that.

Dale

Figleaf

Good news. I remembered my source and asked him. He has another token available for you. It'll be some time before you actually get it, because in order to save postage, he'll send it with new euro issues I get from him, but it has your name on it.

He also confirmed that the token was for coffee machines and that it's no longer used. It was in use about 10 years ago.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.