Author Topic: Unidentified Hasburg eagle token  (Read 201 times)

Offline philebbs

• Reader
Unidentified Hasburg eagle token
« on: May 14, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »
Hello Everyone, I have Recently been passed down a bunch of old coins, i've been able to identify The majority of them apart from this token, I would be extremely appreciative if someone could identify this Token/Coin as i've been searching for information about it for quite sometime now

Weight: 3.10 Grams

Dimensions: 23Mm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Unidentified Hasburg eagle token
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 12:26:42 PM »
Originally a card counter it has been used as a "poor man's" pub token, valued at one penny, with the publicans initials being WW it is thus very unlikely that WW will ever be known today.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline philebbs

• Reader
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 01:08:03 PM »
Just out of Curiosity would this have any value for collectors. Much appreciated for that information i have been looking for that WW for weeks on end now.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »
Very little, it would probably sell for 99p on eBay.
Malcolm

Offline jkk

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:22:48 PM »
Is it safe to assume that it's from WWI or before Austria, as part of Austria-Hungary, due to the obverse device? I was curious about the likely date range, and what "1D" would likely mean.
Jonathan

Online FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 09:30:55 PM »
1D is most likely a value assigned to it by whoever punched the reverse side - it is one (old) penny or 1/240 of a pound.

Offline jkk

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 09:39:27 PM »
That would seem to make sense, particularly if it were in fact a UK or Commonwealth piece. What I wrestle with is why someone in Austria-Hungary would assign such a value; I could imagine a heller or fillér. Or why/when a UK publican would use the Habsburg eagle on a pub token.
Jonathan

Online FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 09:46:48 PM »
As mentioned above, this was originally a counter or jeton used in card games. These come with numerous designs, including the arms and portaits of various European monarchs, not just British.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 12:38:16 AM »
These card counters were produced in Victorian times in great quantities in both Germany and the UK

Another such piece with Victoria on the obverse and the same double headed eagle on the reverse was produced in Birmingham by the well known firm of Allen & Moore whose initials A&M may be see on the truncation of her bust in the image below.

The company was formed in 1844 by a partnership between Joseph Moore and John Allen who were two former apprentices of Thomas Halliday, the leading die-sinker in Birmingham in the first half of the nineteenth century who trained most of the medal makers of the period.

'The partners carried on business as Allen & Moore in Great Hampton Row, Birmingham and manufactured articles of papier mache and also metal vases cups and boxes. These metal wares produced by machines invented by Allen were engine cut on bodies coated with colour and portions being cut away by the lathe the patterns chiefly designed by Moore were left in colour in low relief. Partly owing to changes of fashion, the works had to be closed and Moore, after having lost all he had, began business for himself in 1856 as a die sinker first in Summer Lane and afterwards, till his death, in Pitsford Street, Birmingham.'
Malcolm

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 11:24:30 AM »
It is quite unlikely to hail from Austria, as any Austrian would know that the eagle holds a sceptre and an orb, not a sword and a tennis ball. For the same reason, it is unlikely to be German. A British producer is likely, not only because, as noted upthread, there were many of them, but also because such errors would almost come naturally to them and their clients wouldn't notice.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ˇ DE ˇ EU
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »
Maybe the manufacturer figured that the Austrian and Russian double eagles looked (almost) alike, and then created this amalgamated bird. ;D

Christian